I'd like to see the ability to lock in place items in the tree

Then don’t put it in the public forum.

You’re de facto inviting comment. You are definitely going to get a peanut gallery.

(edit, removed emojis that I thought were funny, but came off as sassy)

Hmmm… I’m confused by your comment. How does the ability to lock something in place break a logical connection? I’m actually confused by this whole thread. Has no one ever accidentally moved something and wish they could just lock it there so they could move other things around it? Unless I’m completely understanding the original request, it seems strange that everyone is so against this feature (which we have no say in adding anyway).

I’m a casual user and I’d love that feature. It drives me crazy every time I try to move something. Maybe I’m a rare person who doesn’t always upload one completely aligned item to work on at a time. Sometimes I’m combining files or making copies… [I also don’t see how we can assume that the folks at GF feel any sort of way about this.]

2 Likes

It’s logical to assume that if something is completely enclosed inside something else in your design, they should “go together”. Of course logic is in the eye of the beholder, but it jives with me.

See above:

See above, above. I’m not against. I just think it’s a complicated request.

Granted it’s a bit of an assumption, but they did design it this way. I’d like to assume their design decisions were intentional, and even vetted by committee – therefore I think it’s pretty safe to say they “feel” some way about it, and likely they feel this was the best choice. And I’m fairly sure they thought about this a lot more than we have.

Or it could be that you’re trying to conserve materials. Also, this doesn’t just impact things that are enclosed in other things. If you have a small object next to a large one, it’s hard to select the small object without zooming all the way in. This happens all the time to me. I just don’t tend to ask for much… after so many people requesting simple scroll bars and folders and not getting them, I just assume it’s not going to happen regardless of complexity.

As for design, the absence of a feature doesn’t really say much to me in terms of intent. There’s no software for the pass-through, either, and clearly, they intend there to be in the long run.

2 Likes

I wasn’t against anything. I just suggested an easier and more accurate way to do it. That’s what we do around here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Sorry. That wasn’t really directed at you. :slight_smile: My “everyone” was a bit of hyperbole.

2 Likes

I do still get bit by it once in a while. It feels to me like if I make it a different color, it shouldn’t get locked together.

2 Likes

Actually, the feature that anything enclosed inside of a closed shape gets moved together is pretty much a requirement due to the nature of certain design programs (mainly CAD ones) that create some curved shapes using disconnected short segments instead of using connected smooth Bezier curves.

Trying to select all of the parts of a curved shape parked right next to another curved shape on the board without selecting some of the other shape is almost impossible. The rule is the only way to move just one item at a time.

In addition, sometimes you will have cut lines overlaid on top of a raster image, and that might extend beyond the cutlines…trying to select both and move them perfectly at the same time can again throw things off if they are not associated with each other.

It doesn’t hurt to ask for it, I’m just not sure it’s practical given the wide variety of programs that the GFUI has to interpret. (I’ve experienced using the machine the way that you guys are asking for. I think you’d change your minds about it once you tried to put it into practice. The downsides definitely outweigh the one small benefit.) :neutral_face:

4 Likes

See? Intentional.

2 Likes

Ahhh. That makes a lot of sense.

1 Like

Wow – there are some great work-arounds here. Glad I saw them.

4 Likes

Well, I know they’ll likely just add it to the hopper, but since I actually saw this one during the Pre-testing, I thought you guys might like to know why it hadn’t been implemented yet.

It used to be that way. And it weren’t cool. sunglasses2

2 Likes

We’re always happy to get requests for features, and pass them on to the team. Thanks for this suggestion, @DesignsbyPhil - I’ll make sure the team gets it!

2 Likes

Our team responds to the initial post in the “Problems and Support” category, and feature requests are always considered regardless of whether folks are gracious enough to share their ideas for alternate solutions.

Each post in our community forum becomes a resource for all readers. Everyone’s participation is welcome, as long as it’s in the spirit of helpfulness. Our guidelines expand on this, but it is wonderful that folks have jumped in to try to be helpful, whether or not their participation winds up being what the original poster needed.

What’s unique about Problems & Support is that unlike other sections, our team will do our best to always circle back to the original poster’s topic before closing it.

I understand your frustration! If we were moderating a debate that might be the case, but fortunately, we’re not. No amount of posting in Problems & Support topic will “drown out” the original request.

Finally, @DesignsbyPhil, thanks for the request - it’s a great suggestion and @vee’s already made sure it’s in the hopper.

5 Likes