Ideas for the hopper

Are you sure? I just watch the clip again a couple of times, on the “Watch how it works” video on the main glowforge page. At 1:27 there is a two-second shot of the woman using an ipad to move the airplane onto what i think is a lid-camera shot from the 'forge, and it shows six separate pieces on the honeycomb.
Of course… that could also be a non-functional mockup app just for the video.

1 Like

Oh, maybe you’re right!! Hmmm… We’ll see I guess. :slight_smile:

Well, we don’t know if she positioned an airplane on every part in the tray.

And since the thing she was doing was a full cut-out, aligning to any slight skew doesn’t matter much. Engraving on an existing object and wanting every engrave centered and equidistant to the end would be more what the question at hand involves.

3 Likes

@jacobturner you are right. Ha, and now that I think about it… she is an actress. They are on set. The cuts and laser shots could have been done anywhere previously.

Behold, the magic word of Hollywood! (says the guy that works in Hollywood)

I seem to have missed that this was also being discussed over here. We do know that alignment will be at least partly based on the corners of the material. The question is whether it can precisely align to multiple objects at once, and then if/once it can do that, can the alignment be specified for the batch (ie center all, or align copies to left edge of bottom +.5cm padding) or individually (ie drag each copy over material in bed, align each separate instance using a center to material function, or dialogue box with something like align to: [select edge] +/- [#] of [units]

@JeremyNielsen 's USB use case may not be using rectangular-shaped USB devices. The could be circular or complex shapes too. Wonder how that would work with corner-alignment.

1 Like

Another thing I would love to see is an easy way to do two sided engraving that would handle the alignment when you flip it over.

1 Like

Love that you’re putting ideas out there. As for more work for GF to have to do before they ship the item, I think they have their hands full as it is. Not sure they would be willing to pile more on their plate.
Markevans - sign me up for the t-shirts! That would be AWESOME! If you have a design, I have a company that can make them reasonable. I’d even be willing to handle the shipping.

1 Like

I don’t expect this to be put in the released product initially, (I just want my basic functioning laser ha-ha) but I don’t see the harm of throwing them out there. Who knows what will stick eventually.

3 Likes

Love ideas like this - and definitely goes in the hopper, if not for launch, then for consideration after.

3 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks @dan

Pondering my need for a booster fan for the lengthy exhaust duct, it occurred to me, a switched power connection on the Glowforge would allow connection of peripheral equipment to be energized when the machine is powered on - eliminating the need for me to remember it! :sleeping:

Something for the next iteration perhaps.

2 Likes

Or something for the handy tinkerer to add. I may have a long ventilation run so this might be a good solution for me.

2 Likes

IFTT integration on the Glowforge is sounding like a better and better idea:

Someone asked for a way to monitor cutting time for billing use of the Glowforge:
If you have an IFTT recipe to trigger at start and end of cut, trivial.

This request now for power control of a booster ventilation fan.
If you have an IFTT recipe that triggers an IoT power receptacle at start and end of cut… trivial.

8 Likes

Neat idea for the hopper! cc @tony

4 Likes

@jacob - yes IFTT or some other mechanism for logging time to job, when it comes to costing jobs for clients this would be so useful.

It would also let us get a sense of the lifespan of the GF too.

I have a feeling that cost of a job might be equally made up of materials, time + replacement laser tubes

1 Like

Alignment + registration.

The more jobs I think about doing the more these two come up.

Simple example: I want to laser cut pre-printed playing cards and playing tokens for games.

That means for single sided only cutting I need to have perfect registration.

My feeling is being able to line up a specific point under some sort of cross hair, then being able to rotate around the cross hair to get it squared up exactly.

2 Likes

Easily make a jig to lay down or insert what ever it is that you need to print. Make sure the underside image is in the same spot as the upside image. Flip the material and go…
I do it all the time.

6 Likes

Is that the same as IFTTT (If this then that)? Wikipedia doesn’t seem to know what IFTT means and finds IFTTT instead.

I think yes, but not the IFTTT that you think. This one: https://ifttt.com/