Illustrator: joining paths question

This is something that has stumped me, and I am sure there is a simple answer that I am not finding.

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 10.04.11 AM

When I cut a path, and then have a bunch of unjoined paths, and want them to be joined to become one shape, when I chose Path, Join, it connects the dots, but the logic doesn’t seem logical to me.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Thank you!!!

1 Like

AI is guessing based on some magic Adobe math. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s really dumb.
To force it to do what you want - use the white direct selection arrow or lasso to select two overlapping points on different paths at a time and join them (ctrl/cmd+j), then select the other two and join them. Continue until everything is done.

Ps) If there are a lot of segments to join, and they are all touching you can cheat and use the bucket to make a live paint object, expand it to get a filled shape, then just turn off the fill. Depending on how the object is built, you might have a few extraneous lines to delete.

6 Likes

That is awesome! Thank you!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.