I'm stoked!

Several weeks ago I bought a new butcher block kitchen cart which has two open heavy wire shelves. I moved some of my pots and pans into the shelves in addition to my electric shredder and attachments. The wire shelving wasn’t all that conducive to storing the attachments, so I decided to meet my own self-challenge and make a box for them. (You can see it in the center of the bottom shelf)

My personal aesthetic preference is for butt joints, but I’ve read that finger joints are stronger…plus, I’ve been intrigued about how to make finger joints…so therein my challenge. This is my first ever finger jointed box! It’s 16” x 9” made out of PG thick maple.

I know that to many of you this is pretty much old hat, but I was really stoked that it turned out. I had to use 3 sheets of PG and I was apprehensive about it all fitting as I hoped, since there were slight variations in thickness between all three sheets. Apparently it wasn’t enough to make a difference, even though I was mentally prepared to sacrifice the materials if I screwed everything up. I made a test sample first with cardboard, and several small kerf test pieces.

It’s tighter than a drum…which delighted me. I used the butcher block cart top for a great workbench to use my rubber mallet to get all the pieces in place. Not a drop of glue. Another challenge under my Glowforge belt.

49 Likes

I like the the variation, narrow gaps on the sides and wide on the bottom. Looks crisp and clean!

8 Likes

Gorgeous and handy! :grinning:

6 Likes

It always amazes me how much material boxes eat up.

10 Likes

Great cart! And I like how you alternated the finger joints between the sides and the bottom.

5 Likes

Thank you! I must admit, though…it’s because I didn’t know what I was doing…so it was a happy accident.

4 Likes

Super nice! Well done! Love the joints.

4 Likes

So what is your outlook on fingers now? I know that my estimation changed after trying it, but curious of other’s estimation from before and after.

2 Likes

Congratulations! I really like the look with the different sized finger joints. May have to plan on that in the future.

3 Likes

Well, my outlook is that they’re sort of a PITA, but my sense of accomplishment is high. The way I made them is probably a lot harder than it is for other people because Affinity doesn’t have all the same tools in it for that kind of thing (offset?)…and if it does, I haven’t found them, yet. That’s part of the reason though that my education is continuing. I still prefer the look of butt joints, though.

2 Likes

Nice work there! The different size tabs really do look great.
I like that cart too! May I ask where you sourced it?

1 Like

Thanks, David. I love the cart…the food prep area with the little stainless tub inside the hole to scrape the trash as you go. Bought it on Wayfair.com

2 Likes

Love the variation in the finger joints! Well done!

2 Likes

The late great Bob Ross is smiling :smile:

1 Like

:+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Dang.
I really wanted to get one as a gift for my wife, but you must have snagged one of the last. I went through 16 pages of search results there and yours isn’t there… :pensive: Do you know who makes it?

3 Likes

I just looked at my orders and it seems they are still available, just not in the white finish. Check this out;
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/ebern-designs-sydney-kitchen-cart-ebrn2281.html

1 Like

There is here also…

2 Likes

Ah, yes…and $40 cheaper!

1 Like

Just noticed, though…the shelves underneath are different.

2 Likes