I'm such a slacker

I really feel like I have been slacking so much lately, and at the same time, I still feel like I have no time to work on projects and new ideas… I’m still going to work every day for the most part. SOME remote work, but, mostly still going on campus every day ( I work for a University in Ohio now :wink: which makes my trip a 6 mile round trip instead of a 60 mile round trip daily.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m beyond thankful that I was able to get this position, but I still somehow seem to have even more to deal with now thanks to Covid, as I’m sure we all do…I have some orders backed up (but they are for family and I’m not getting paid lol, so they’ll get done when they get done lol) but I just need a good week of nothing going on, and good weather since I don’t like to vent my 'Forge when it’s raining outside, so I can get caught up and play some lol

Other than my ranting, how is everyone else on the forums doing? I’ve been trying to keep up with posts, and comment way more than I have before. Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

9 Likes

I know how you feel… but I even took a week of vacation last week and still got nothing done. Turns out just having free time isn’t enough to accomplish amazing projects. This situation is just sapping my energy and enthusiasm for anything.

9 Likes

Same here, minus the taking time off part… Although I did just get yet another new toy over the weekend, and it actually brought a lot of excitement to me, if only for a couple of days lol. I got an eBike and it is FUUUUUUUUUUN

4 Likes

Congrats on the new job.

Don’t beat yourself up over being a slacker. These are stressful times and sometimes you just have to be like The Dude and abide . :smiley:

5 Likes

I have found that just taking the first step helps me get going, even if I am not in the mood. I force myself to do one thing and then that gets me rolling. But i know how you feel, sometimes its hard to get motivated!

3 Likes

I think creativity is stunted when in stressful times, also when starting a new job. Hang in there!

Other than mask clips I haven’t fired up the Glowforge either. Lots of sewing of masks requested by the hospitals. Keeping busy helps eliminate stress.

On the flip side, creativity is also enhanced by constraints. Maybe turn the tables here, and look at the limits we have on acquiring materials as a constraint and see what you can do with what you have on hand?

Applies to lots of things too, like making dinners or baking, more of a “what can I do with what I have right now” instead of the old way of “I’ll go get what I need to make something specific”.

This is a long haul, and I’ve found some relief from trying to take that attitude. It doesn’t always work, but it has helped some.

4 Likes

I know we have enjoyed not having take out and a major shift in meals. I’ve made things that we hadn’t had on some time.

Yesterday I introduced the grandchildren to fresh homemade bread. They loved it! Husband was thrilled to have it on his lunchbox today also. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This has been happening with me a lot, lately. My freezer is finally really getting a workout and is becoming more empty every day. I’ve always been guilty of storing way more than we need in it. I’m discovering that there really are many things that I used to keep on hand…that I don’t think I really needed them all that much in the first place. I’m going to be curious to see when this is all over how many habits I have will be resurrected and how many will just go away.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.