Image shifts when i click print. making this unuseable

whenever i click print the images shift on my computer and wont print in the spots i placed them. weather or not i move them where they are supposed to be they always move to an incorrect spot. i’ve tried turning it off and on, recentered it but i don’t know what else to do it is unusable at this point and i am stuck. it has ruined several prints and and i’ve spent several hours today to try to get a printing job done but i cant engrave the backs because it will ruin them and i would have wasted the 3 hours it took to print the front. i’ve added a plus sign to the beginning of each print to check for its location based on where its supposed to be.

Use the set focus tool before placing your artwork and you won’t have this problem.

ive used that tool i dont see any difference

Have you done a camera calibration?
Are you using “set focus?”
If not, https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633714-Alignment

i dont know if its mechanical either because after the image shifts i open the lid and refresh the image the images move back to where i placed them

If you use the set focus tool before placing your artwork, there should not be any movement after you click print. Are you allowing auto focus or inputting a material height? Your best bet for front and back engraves is to make a jig.

The image shifting is likely due to a misaligned camera and/or incorrect height measurements. Do the camera calibration and see if it helps.

1 Like

set focus only works well (in terms of visual alignment) when the camera is properly calibrated.

i am using medium draft board so it should be the same height. should i remove all my art work then set focous?

Here is the official Glowforge help for alignment and calibration: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633714

1 Like

You don’t need to remove your art, you just need to use set focus before your settle on final placement. But do the lid camera calibration, it usually makes a big difference in set focus accuracy.

2 Likes

so i started a new save and focused added the art work and the images on the computer didnt shift but it did start printing in the wrong spot

Did you move the laser head at any point? If so, you need to restart the machine so it rehomes. Otherwise, until you do the camera calibration it’s hard to help troubleshoot.

1 Like

#4, have you done the lid camera calibration?

edited to add: sorry @ChristyM, obviously, that wasn’t for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I thought maybe my posts were invisible for a minute. :slight_smile:

How far off of where you think your print is going to start is it? Can you share a screenshot? Also, the lid camera calibration may be helpful. The technical specs of the Glowforge are that the camera alignment is accurate to 1/4". Most users get better accuracy than that after the lid camera calibration is complete.

Oh no! I’m sorry you’ve hit a snag. There are lots of great suggestions from our other forum members!

I’d like to have you perform a specific test for us to measure the variance you’re experiencing with your alignment. At your earliest convenience, please perform the following:

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Check for small pieces of debris or dust.
  • Check the lower door to make sure it closes all the way. It may require some force to open, but open it, wipe any dust off the edges, and close it all the way.
  • Remove the tray and clean any dust or debris from the surface underneath. Pay careful attention to remove all debris from the four dimples where the tray rests.
  • Check the lid to make sure it closes all the way. Small particles of material, such as dust or debris, can prevent it from closing completely.
  1. Check the surface your Glowforge is on to make sure it’s flat. Ensure it is not twisted slightly and that there is no debris propping up one side of the machine.
  2. Turn your Glowforge back on.
  3. Place Proofgrade material in the part of the of the bed that you are having the most trouble and print the Gift of Good Measure using the default settings.
  4. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates. Without moving your artwork or your material, take a screenshot of the Workspace to show us the difference between the artwork placement and the actual print placement. Make sure to include the rulers in your screenshot and show as much of the bed as possible.
  • Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.
  • Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.
  1. Send us the screenshot along with the date and time of the print, and we’ll investigate.

Let us know how it goes!

so i realized something it mostly happens when theres a large amount of artwork and gets more severe the more there is it looks like it might be squeezing down the artwork a bit. one of my hinges glue failed and is not attached but is able to be pressed down with some force i dont know if that could cause it however the issue came up a while after the glue failed. i did the test you said and it turned out normal but i will try again in the top right corner where the problem seems to be affected the most. i do have video of my own prints of this happening if you have a way for me to send you the video

This would DEFINITELY cause issues with your image accuracy. The GF expects the lid camera to be in a precise location relative to everything else.

Guessing from your profile info that you’re out of warranty at this point. You can either send the unit back to GF for repair or try gluing the hinge yourself and then recalibrating, at least one person has reported semi-success doing so. Search the forum, there’s a few different threads.

1 Like

@mhsquared I send you an email so we can continue to troubleshoot your issue through email. To avoid duplicate communication and expedite your process, I’m going to go ahead and close this topic.