I'mma gonna be upset if I can't forge 'cause of DDoS attacks

More affordable for everyone sounds good, right? Not always…Seems everything has a good & bad side.

Massive DDoS attacks reach record levels as botnets make them cheaper to launch

http://www.networksasia.net/article/massive-ddos-attacks-reach-record-levels-botnets-make-them-cheaper-launch.1470128686?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal&mrkid=1956544&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTjJJMk5XWmlOV0l3TkRjNSIsInQiOiJwS0R2bDdBeVZqczl1OHNwYXFpdkltM0RST3BsbEFKbFRmTkZsR3NCSVBRaTVReElNc1FSTXNKNGpPWU5ESngxbXFLM2h6bGRsMUhxUWVLcjNuaHZPa2JDMUEzVmVObXNsRWlHTmtFUWpHcz0ifQ%3D%3D

There were 19 distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks that exceeded 100 Gbps during the first three months of the year, almost four times more than in the previous quarter.

Even more concerning is that these mega attacks, which few companies can withstand on their own, were launched using so-called booter or stresser botnets that are common and cheap to rent. This means that more criminals can now afford to launch such crippling attacks.

“In the past, very few attacks generated with booter/stresser tools exceeded the 100 Gbps mark,” researchers from Akamai said in the company’s State of the Internet security report for the first quarter of 2016 that was released Tuesday.

By comparison, only five DDoS attacks over 100 Gbps were recorded during the fourth quarter of 2015 and eight in the third quarter. Nineteen such attacks in a single quarter is a new high, with the previous record, 17, set in the third quarter of 2014.

Article continues at link…

3 Likes

There will definitely be times where the service is down. That is unavoidable in the tech world. It is a cost benefit ratio though. You are getting a high end laser cutter with a strong cloud based brain behind it for very little money. Your trade off is that occasionally (and probably very occasionally) you’ll have an outage.

2 Likes

We’re going to work very, very hard to make sure that never happens, and then we may fail from time to time. I expect we’ll learn some hard lessons with a lot of you chewing us out, fix the problem, and then that problem will never happen again. We’ll get much better at it as the first days and weeks go by after delivery.

We know you will rely on your Glowforge and expect it to work 24/7, and will spend a great deal of time (and money) ensuring you can.

11 Likes

Oh, wait, maybe I should have clarified:

I aint gonna be upset with YOU guys; I am gonna be upset with the hackers.

But of course, there is nothing I can do about that, and I am at their mercy. Maybe write my congressman and demand that punishment for such things be more severe. Yah, good luck with that…

I’ll just be like the old man yelling at clouds.

5 Likes