In Honor of Beltane this May 1 (Off Topic)

In honor of Beltane, this by the amazing band Faun:

10 Likes

Had someone post this on Facebook this morning. Iā€™d never heard of it.

The interesting part is that here in Seattle, May Day is a lovely day of protests which apparently turn into riots from time to time. I didnā€™t like someone requesting the setting of fires into this already gas-filled-just-waiting-for-a-spark political/social situation.

3 Likes

Yes ā€“ Faun comes over once or twice a year to a festival I attend ā€“ pretty amazing.

Yes, at work today here in Seattle ā€“ waiting to see what this other form of celebrating May 1 bringsā€¦

2 Likes

Faerieworlds?

A friend shared this video on Facebook this morning:

2 Likes

Yes ā€“ Faerieworlds and Mythicon :relaxed:

1 Like

If you have never watched the original Wicker Man, it would be well worth it., if a bit creepy.

1 Like

To take an off topic discussion further afieldā€¦ Iā€™ve always been fond of JoCoā€™s take on the First of May. :smile:

NOTE: The linked song contains explicit lyrics so you might not want to click on that link at work. Or with young children around. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes ā€“ so much better than that seriously bizarre remakeā€¦

Funny that I just saw this post! That hand-cranked thing is a hurdy gurdy. Never heard of or seen one 'till yesterday.

2 Likes

They are becoming more common ā€“ especially in pagan and pagan/celtic fusion bands. The one in the video is played by Guilhem Desq from France who often plays with Faun and also has his own band, Zirp. A friend also plays one sometimes in his band, Woodland.

1 Like

I also knew the hurdy gurdy. What is that other thing?

4 Likes

For all who are interested ā€“ this August, near Portland: