Inconsistent cut widths?

I’ve been having an issue with my glowforge cuts being inconsistent within a single file/cut. I thought it might be an issue with plywood inconsistencies, but today I’m cutting 3/32” basswood (not ply) and having the same issue.

In the photo, you can see that the little house cut on the right is really crisp, and the cut on the left has a fatter rounded edge thing. Same with the hinge , but both types are present in the same piece.

I designed it all in Inkscape and uploaded one big file, and printed it with the same cut settings for all the cuts.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? Thanks!

1 Like

It seems odd that the cut lines vary in width, but the score lines seem consistent. Would you consider sharing the file or a section of the file so someone can take a look?

1 Like

Sure! I copied the parts from the photos into a new file to reduce the confusion (and file size).

gf wth cut widths

Is this helpful or is there a better way to upload the file?

1 Like

I have the same issue. Completely random when it will happen. For a while I thought it might be because I duplicated the lines in inkscape and forgot to move them but I went over my drawing with a fine tooth comb and no duplicates. Its pretty annoying though because I have had to recut pieces that I was selling because they didn’t look good.

1 Like

I don’t see anything in the file, and there were folks who were seeing inconsistent cuts like that - most noticeable in circles where it would start small but end big. You should cut the Gift of Good Measure on that spare piece of draftboard they sent you and hopefully it’ll show the same issue, because then a staff member can use that data to verify what’s up with your machine!

Also a staff member responded in this thread with instructions to check your focusing head - it’s worth running that test yourself and posting those results here too.

2 Likes

I agree - the file looks normal.

1 Like

I keep having this as well. This is the same file that has printed fine in the past. You can almost see a triangle as it goes from clear to blurry cut lines.

1 Like

Glowforge sent me a replacement and I haven’t had this issue since. Not sure if they know what’s going on yet but they were quick to send me a new, tested laser.

1 Like

@rosaliethompson It was great working with you over Chat support. I went ahead and sent over an email to you to continue correspondence on this problem. I am going to go ahead and close this topic and continue helping you over email. Thank you!

1 Like