Inkscape error: elliptical box maker -Solved

Aarrggh!!! I really, really want to use the Elliptical Box Maker extension in Inkscape, but cannot get past this error when clicking apply:

ImportError: No module named Inkscape_helper.inkscape_helper

I’ve completely uninstalled Inkscape 0.92.1 and reinstalled in Windoze 10. Can’t find a reference to this error on the webiverse, other than “you’re missing this module.” :rolling_eyes:

Ok, so the solution was finally found by digging into the author’s github repo. If anyone else gets this error, the workaround is

“You also need another extension GitHub - BvdP/Inkscape_helper: Split out a lot of common stuff for my Inkscape extensions . Put the two files in a folder called “Inkscape_helper” (note the capital I) and put the folder into the extensions directory where you put the ell_box.pi and ell_box.inx files.”

Oi!

21 Likes

I remember having trouble installing it too - but that was over a year ago, and there was no way I could find it again…fantastic! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the solution!!! I gave up quickly after it did not run immediately (not my usual mode of operation, but had other stuff to do!!!) Thanks @dwardio!!!

1 Like

Full disclosure – the workaround I posted above only works on some systems. I ended up using the v1.0 code (dtd 3 Feb 2015) from https://github.com/BvdP/elliptical-box-maker/releases

2 Likes

Sorry. I had worked through those issues to and didn’t bother posting the fix. Glad you got it to work. It’s pretty good although some of the cuts weaken at the wrong places. I’ve taken the design and tweaked the result.

1 Like

No worries! The v1.0 code generates some interesting orphans, but their placement shouldn’t waste material. They might be useful as anchors attaching to other pieces, but I haven’t been able to dig in yet.

I finally got around to playing with this, and I was happy to have your posting :slight_smile:
I did run into a second error (progress = getting to the next error message!) and found my solution here (look for the posting by janbbeck and download the link “extensions.zip”):

the error I got was:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “ell_box.py”, line 230, in
effect.affect()
File “/usr/share/inkscape/extensions/inkex.py”, line 263, in affect
self.getoptions(args)
File “/usr/share/inkscape/extensions/inkex.py”, line 159, in getoptions
self.options, self.args = self.OptionParser.parse_args(args)
AttributeError: EllipticalBox instance has no attribute ‘OptionParser’

After installing both the fix @dwardio posted here and the fix posted in the link above by janbbeck, I got the eliptical box maker working in Inkscape.

4 Likes

Read through comment in the Instructable and it will help.

5 Likes