Inkscape help for isolating lake on a map

Ok, Inkscape gurus ~ I’d like to isolate the lake portion of the map so that I can engrave it at a different setting than the rest of the lines (i.e. I want to engrave the roads at a darker setting, and the lake at a lighter setting).

1. How on earth can I select all the nodes around the lake without accidentally catching other surrounding nodes?
  2. And then when that is accomplished, do I use the “break path at selected nodes” button?

TIA!

Give them different colours.

Yes! But how do I isolate the lake to do that? As it is now, everything (the roads and lake) are all the same path so when I change the color of one it changes the color of everything. (Hope I’m making sense)

I tried to select the nodes one by one, and then clicked “break path at selected nodes” but it deleted the portion I selected.

We have no idea what your map file looks like, visually or in terms of composition. Did the map start out as a picture of some sort that you traced? If it was in multiple colors to start with, you can typically get the water in its own path/layer by tracing by color.

Thank you ~ forgot to attach the photo (doh!). :woman_facepalming:t2:

I imported a screen shot of a map (jpg) and then I did “trace bitmap” which is what this image is of.

1 Like

You can choose “path” “break apart” then colour each area whatever you want.

2 Likes

Thank you ~ but how do I select the lake without having to click on each and every node individually?

For squares and other shapes I can usually click on a few nodes, draw a box around the item I want to isolate, & that’s how I select all the nodes of the entire shape.

But this is so close to the other nodes of the roads, I can’t use that technique.

Separate it from the streets (looks like only one point, at the top) then use “break apart”. You’ll be able to select the lake by itself.

4 Likes

To be clear - break this line at the top of the lake:
and then select your full design and click Path > Break Apart
and the lake will no longer be attached. If there is anything else that’s not touching anything else it will also be broken apart - but you can now easily select the lake and drag it off to the side, and then select everything else and click Path > Combine and they’ll all join back up again.

5 Likes

(or leave the lake in place, use ctrl/cmd-A to select all, then shift-click on the lake to deselect it.)

3 Likes

Once you’ve broken the paths so the lake isn’t connected to everything else, you can select one node on it, and click ctrl-a to select all the nodes on that path.

3 Likes

Ooh, I didn’t know that! I use the click and roll the mouse wheel but that’ll select nearby paths too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How did you resolve this? I would make a rectangle and use the Object>Cut function to slice out a rectangle of what I want to remain. I may not understand what your final intention is though.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.