Inkscape help with a PDF file!

Vector editors like Inkscape were designed for graphic artists to make print graphics and display graphics (as in display on a monitor). People use them to make files for laser cutters and what not, but what we are doing in some ways is jamming a round peg into the square hole. The software for your Silhouette was written for people using a drag cutter, so not only are its commands intended for a narrow audience, but the programmers can make some big assumptions.

I’m just answering the why, I am not taking a stand on right or wrong. I’m not saying it’s better; it just is.

Cool, how about this then? Can Inkscape cut a path line in half?
I want all the path above the black to be gone. Is that possible?

Yes. I’m told it’s easier in AI, and probably the other programs. There is probably a tutorial in the matrix, which is in the first pinned post in the Tips and Tricks section, but I couldn’t find it quickly so I’ll just explain.

In this particular case I would use the Edit Paths by Nodes tool. It is the skinny cursor; the second icon down on the left-hand-side in your screenshot. If there isn’t a node where the black stops, double click there with this tool and it will create one. Select the node with the same tool and then click on Break Path at Selected Nodes. Repeat for the other end. Now you should be able to select the red line and delete it.

The more generic method is to use the Create rectangles tool and then do a Path->Difference. Below you see the oval and then a rectangle placed over it.

I select both and do Path->Difference. and get this

Note that when you use the Difference command the object that is subtracted depends on the z-order. In simpler terms, the most recently created one is subtracted from the older one. In this case I made the oval first and the rectangle second. Also, you can only use Inkscape shapes or paths with the difference command. If it is not working for you, there where will be a message why at the bottom of Inkscape (in your screen shot it is where it says “Path 34 nodes in layer Love Heart…”)

The reason Inkscape is worse than the other programs at this is when you have multiple objects, you need to do the difference command once for each one. Those of us who used the passthrough, with or without snapmarks, before the passthrough feature was released learned these lessons well.

1 Like

Actually it is only worse if you use that method. There is likely a node at the corner but if not a double click on the line will make one then the break at node command will break it there and a similar break at another corner will make it two pieces, and a break apart command will give you the seperate piece,

1 Like

Well, I have zoomed in to %1000 (as far as I can go) and I think this is a node(?) I double click it to make a node, and it makes this Quantum Realm sized dot. I try and highlight it, circle it, square it, and other means of selection, and I tried to break it, but nothing happens.
Do I need to %1000 zoom every corner and make this node first?

WAIT! Turns out I have to close the Inkscape window (reduce it at least), visit another tab, then come back to Inkscape, and THEN it will let me select, break and delete!
You would think I was on a Commodore 64, not a Surface Pro…ha!

1 Like

I suppose that works. Sometimes when there is two nodes exactly on top of each other it does that but as there is a node at the end of every line and that break tells me they are broken there so I just rectangle select if needed usually to make several nodes into one node

I’ve been wanting to drop this link in a topic and this is as good as any. Can’t plug Logos by Nick enough for learning about Inkscape.

9 Likes

Interesting, I knew about several but kept forgetting the specifics and a couple were new nuances I had not considered. Evening out a series of nodes along a line is one I continue to have trouble with if the line is complex or curved.

1 Like

heart love

Success! Thank you all for your help!

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.