Inspired by Jules, I went to upgrade my miscellaneous bench top storage. Used This to design the box. The ‘cut width’ under Advanced options made it easy to sneak up on kerf compensation for a nice tight fit.
I had this ‘Founder figure’ cut from black acrylic left from the original idea I was working on before the HDD fail, and I thought he would make a nice embellishment. The problem was the acrylic figure had been reduced in the UI from the original size, so I thought I would try a trace of him just to see how close it would be. So I fished him out of the scrap box and tried. The screen resolution didn’t instill enough faith in the process to risk the box I just made, so I went with plan B.
Like the fire inlay I did, I put him in the bed on top of the material and loaded a vector file of him that was still in the GFUI which was much larger.
Using the handy scaling feature and a 250% zoom level I positioned the outline next to the acrylic cut out and reduced the size to match as closely as I could.
In my usual ignorance and exuberance I would normally make a new mistake and print on the intended material, but this time the kid decided he would run a test on a scrap. He made the cut, positioned the acrylic and was trying to determine how far off it was when Behold! it dropped into the cut - and he shat!
Old container and new
Moral of the story - Keep a box for your scrap, you never know what you might find useful. Speaking of useful, that scaling ability built right into the UI… Yeah, that Rocks!