Inlay - first try

It’s not perfect. Mistakes were made; lessons were learned, but…
I have an inlaid truss rod cover for my octave mandolin!

57 Likes

if that’s not perfect, it’s awfully good. Nice work.

11 Likes

@evansd2 Thank you! :heart:

1 Like

(singing) janee’s got a glowforge - she makes pretty things.

3 Likes

@Deleted Hahahaha

2 Likes

That is very nice! Did you use actual shell or something else? I have not seen shell cut that way before,

3 Likes

@rbtdanforth Thank you!! I found a very thin MOP veneer on Etsy. It was so thin, I basically treated it like cardstock.

5 Likes

Likely a decorated plastic then. I did a lot of inlay with rocks and shells in silver but cut them with a jeweler’s saw. Lasers have a lot of trouble cutting things that don’t burn, so I was wondering.
:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

No. It is actual mother-of-pearl.

3 Likes

@rbtdanforth Here’s a link. It is listed as genuine mother of pearl, and it was very fragile.

2 Likes

Yeah thin mother of pearl cuts just fine. I’ve always suspected the laser causes it to crack along the cut line. Would be interesting to try it out and get a microscope on the edge to see what’s what.

3 Likes

@evansd2 One of the things I learned was to offset my wood engrave rather than inset my veneer design. That’s what I did wrong here, and why you see a few cracks. Bits of the design were too thin to hold up. Also, it would have looked better anyway I think.

3 Likes

i almost attempted some MOP veneer inlay on a fretboard recently, but i chickened out. i need to buy some and play.

it looks like the etsy seller suggests putting packing tape on top before cutting. did you use something like that before lasering it?

3 Likes

Incredible that they could sell it in rolls :exploding_head: . I see the thicker stuff is made of tiles, but still finding places flat enough would be hard. I have always been a sucker for Paua shell and they do have several varieties. Very illegal to take from New Zealand but I have heard of a very similar species in Chile.

2 Likes

@shop I would be nervous with a fret board too. I could be brave with the truss rod cover because I could just make another one. ha

I did not use any tape on top, it was too fragile. I tried using 3M adhesive on the back, but peeling the backing off destroyed the shell.

1 Like

@rbtdanforth Paua shell is lovely!

1 Like

ok, good to know about the 3M, i was vaguely thinking about that, too.

it’s mildly painful to eff up a fretboard, but at least it would be a pre-build neck, not something i stripped off of someone’s favorite guitar. it would still cost us $100 to replace it with another good neck, tho, so still mildly paranoid. i had a great use case, too (it was going to be skeleton fingers), but just couldn’t make myself do it yet.

2 Likes

@shop Maybe try a mock-up on a damaged cast-off fret board first?

2 Likes

i have a 3x24" piece of rosewood i’ll test on.

3 Likes

@shop Please report back!!

1 Like