Inspiration from a street festival

Ran into this guy at a Nashville street festival yesterday. Some really beautiful laser cut designs. Guy said he used a 120W chinese laser, but most of the pieces didn’t seem to be more than 1/3" wood, so I think we could do similar stuff with the glowforge:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/1man1garage

23 Likes

More ideas for projects.

its no longer about what you can build but what you can imagine and design. Wow!

3 Likes

Wow–beautiful stuff, though I honestly don’t know how he makes much money on the more complex pieces. I keep imagining how long it would take me to assemble them–even after having done a few–and it seems like a long time for what he’s charging.

2 Likes

I never really got it too. How do you make a living doing so? I tried to find out and a few tips were given to me as follows:

Never just make one. It’s difficult to make one. It takes a lot of time to make one. Instead try to make 2 or 3 at the same time. Sure it might cost a little more at the start but in the end it won’t have taken triple the time to make the three items.

Another tip was that you should not be making those kind of items with the sole goal of selling and profit. Make because you want to make. Sell because your house is already full of awesome stuff. Only sell the pieces you are least willing to let go. Those are the really good pieces.

R

1 Like

From the description of one of the more complex pieces (cathedral lamp), I think he just sells the parts as “puzzles” customers assemble themselves. Neat win-win there:

Just over 120+ pieces, this 3D Puzzle goes from a flat-pack wood kit to a functional piece of art. The pieces are designed to lock together, but adding some glue in key spots, will stabilize the lamp for daily use. Of course, you can take it all apart and let someone else try. There is a full color pdf build manual free to download from the website if you want to get a feel for how complex the puzzle is.

3 Likes

Ah, that makes it make sense! Thanks.

The building manuals are pretty neat too:

http://www.1man1garage.com/support/

3 Likes