Interesting bed photo

I’m having trouble connecting; still troubleshooting, but I’m (optimistically) blaming it on the fact our crappy Internet connection is under heavy load at the moment. But in the meantime, this struck me as maybe something you might be interested in-a nice closeup photo of the top of my print head:

(10:20-ish am today central time)

7 Likes

https://statuspage.glowforge.com/ sez all is well! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well…now that’s weird.

1 Like

Is the head actually under the camera? Or has the software just kind of stuck?

It is, I moved it there last night when I was trying to get it to come online. The photo shows the image that greeted me this morning when I started to try again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmmm, are you seeing some kind of cable failure?

I’m starting to wonder about that…but there are 3 extra adults in the house right now, with all but me streaming videos much of the time, plus 2 kids frequently playing Minecraft, and our Internet is crummy on the best of days, so I’m kinda hoping it’s just that!

2 Likes

For a test of your theory you could kick everyone off for a period of time, reboot everything and see if it helps. Bribe them with ice cream? Cash?? Threats???

1 Like

Yeah, they’re all off right now so I’m trying again. It’s not looking hopeful…

Good Luck. Fingers crossed for you.

2 Likes

Time for everyone to get off the internet and play with a puppy so you can test the internet connection.

1 Like

Well, I managed to get one brief cut…now it’s back to eternal “centering.” sigh

1 Like

Better than having a temperature inversion and accidentally engraving the top of the laser head :upside_down_face: :crazy_face:

I posted a while back that I do not open the lid of my unit unless necessary. I just open the lid far enough to disengage the front drop down door and reach in through it. Time will tell whether my lid cable will last indefinitely. I suspect it will.
I do not believe that the front drop down door has any wires that flex when you open it. Anyone know? Wires running in through the hinge pins possibly?

Not sure how this relates to this thread, but there are no wires in the lower door, just magnets that secure it close, and the two inboard about 1.5" for the lid sensors.

Thanks @eflyguy. The question was in regard to my above mentioned practice of not opening the lid on my Glowforge unless necessary. The benefit of that might easily be negated by fatiguing possible wires at the drop down front door.
All this ties in with my conjecture that @geek2nurse may have a faulty lid cable in her Glowforge. I hope not for her.

1 Like

I’m starting to think it’s more likely a connection issue. If it were the black cable, just waiting for a while wouldn’t fix the problem. It eventually connects, it just takes a long time to get around to it.

I did manage to finish the thing I wanted to do today, so for the moment I’m un-frustrated. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yay!

2 Likes

Not trying to rain on your parade, but a bad cable could behave like a bad connection. A fine crack in a conductor could make intermittent contact just like in a connector. The slightest movement or changes in temperature could cause it to make or break contact.

That said, re-seating the connections is certainly something you can do without having to wait on a new cable. Has it been previously replaced?

Nope, still my original.

1 Like