Interesting way to remove smoke damage on a wood engrave

Those are great to remove soil from fabrics and upholstery.
(Wise old delivery guy trick)

3 Likes

You must have one hellacious sized mail box. Hee, hee,hee. - Rich

3 Likes

This appears to be an amazing tip, though all the link hopping is hilarious for such a simple thing…

Here you go everyone, lol. Save yourself some clicks, hug your family with the time you saved.:
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-25218-Orange-Cleaner-Pumice/dp/B000FW4MD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478128645&sr=8-1&keywords=Permatex+25218+Fast+Orange+Hand+Cleaner+with+Pumice%2C+1+Gallon

5 Likes

The permatex stuff is also sold at home depot, walmart, and every autoparts store.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. Beauty in the details, nice to have your projects with spotless presentations. Thanks again!

I have that cleaner at home. Now I will have to try it on my next project. Thank you for sharing that.

Please share your results too. Maybe a before and after photo? - Rich

2 Likes

I keep a bottle (the jug lasts forever) with the laser. Also keeps me from using it for greasy oily hands and then when cleaning a wood piece having dirty fingerprints picked up and getting on the wood instead.

Get a dedicated semi-stiff brush for it. A good fingernail brush works well and is big enough to clean a decent sized piece without taking forever.

5 Likes

Who goes into a store these days? Prime now… to my door in 2 hours or less. :smiley:

3 Likes

I try to spend money at locally owned businesses if I have the option.
Prime is very convenient, no doubt, but there are plenty of reasons why someone might not want to be ordering a product online at any given time.

5 Likes

I too, prefer to shop locally whenever I can, but being in a tiny town, resources for certain things are limited. A drive to our capital city, about 20-25 min. can give me many more shopping opportunities, but still it’s a matter of being able to or wanting to drive that far. In larger cities, that amount of time would be meaningless. I actually found an item I needed as a subscription item on Amazon for less than it would take me to drive 10 min. to the local drug store. That puts local shopping in a very competetive state

6 Likes

It’s not for everyone, and I respect the choice of those who prefer not to use it, but online shopping a huge time- and gas-saver for me. Instead of driving 20-30 minutes to Denver/Boulder/wherever and checking multiple stores for product X, I can usually find what I need online. If I avoid McGuckins in Boulder for speciality hardware and tools, I can save lots of $$$, too! (You would not believe how much hardware from McGuckins is in orbit around the Earth! If they knew, they would raise their prices even further…)

6 Likes

I agree completely. The other component of this is variety and availability. I was repairing some slide out pantry drawers in our RV. It was necessary to replace some odd but integral parts, so I drove the requisite 25 min. to an RV sales lot/store and found what I needed, but decided to just give Amazon a try after the fact. Sure enough…armed with the part number of these obscure things, I found them on Amazon…no driving, free shipping, so I ordered some extras for the same cost. I buy nearly everything I need except groceries and gas, online. I love living in the future!

3 Likes

Actually I’ve found the best thing for removing co2 laser engraving residue is hydrogen peroxide…A little on a sponge, paper towel or cotton ball (depending on material) takes the residue right off with no abrasive, little effort, and very little if any damage to almost any material except paper/card stock.

11 Likes

I wonder if this stuff would work. It’s sort of like pumice, but softer, and it’s not appreciably wet.

Or one of the eraser powders…

I miss McGuckins. Great store.

2 Likes

Ha! I live in our capital city and just the other week I wanted to buy some solder for an electronic project (I hadn’t done my own electronic work at home yet so needed to get started with the basic supply). I figured it would be faster for me to run to Radio Shack and pick it up than order it. Boy was I wrong! Between forgetting about running the errand, to realizing the store was out of business, I could’ve had it shipped to me several times over and be well ahead!

Side note: I saw @xabbess use the word capitAl and thought she was wrong instead of using capitOl. Mind blown. I had to research a bit but realized that capitol is the building which is located in the capital city. I thought all things related to the capitol building were spelled with the ‘o’! WTH else did I learn incorrectly in school?! :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

The word “capital” comes from the Latin adjective “capitalis” (“of or pertaining to the head”) which is derived from the word “caput”(“head”). Originally an adjective (e.g., in the phrase “capital punishment” aka the kind of punishment where you lose your head) it’s now also used as a noun to refer to a capital city, which literally means the head city.

The word “capitol” comes from the Latin “Capitōlium” or “Collis Capitōlīnus” (the Capitoline Hill) which is one of the oldest parts of Rome and is best known for its massive temple to Jupiter. The Romans attributed the name to a legend about finding a skull when the foundations for the temple to Jupiter were being dug, but the Romans were fond of that kind of inventive etymology so it might also have just been a preexisting name for the hill that happened to sound a bit like “capital” :slight_smile:

Anyway, when the US Capitol building was built, Thomas Jefferson insisted that it be called the “Capitol” rather than “Congress House” as was originally intended. He probably had the Capitoline Hill in mind, although as far as I know he never wrote down his reasoning. In any case, the word has since become a general term for any building in which a legislature meets.

4 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Lies-My-Teacher-Told-Everything/dp/0743296281

3 Likes

Thanks @tim1724 and @jbv!

6 Likes