Interesting way to remove smoke damage on a wood engrave

did a quick search and didn’t see this posted, nice tip, probably would want to be careful what you use it on, but the hand cleaner they show is readily available.

http://support.epiloglaser.com/article/8205/30190/easily-remove-engraving-residue-from-wood

52 Likes

Thanks, excellent contribution :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love this! Thank you!

3 Likes

bookmarked!

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s the stuff I’ve used for years to get tuff grime off my hands and a few other things. One more use registered and locked in. Good find. Thank you. - Rich

4 Likes

:thumbsup: Nice find!
:mindblown: (there really needs to be a “mind blown” emoticon)

4 Likes

Got two huge jugs of that out in the garage! Awesome find! :smiley:

4 Likes

Nice find, I already have a jug and the wipes as well.

4 Likes

“Got two huge jugs…” so many jokes…bad Rich! Bad! :imp:

2 Likes

Yes, it’s bad. (Funny, but bad. Stop that!) :wink:

2 Likes

Excellent. bookmarked! Thanks

2 Likes

Much cheaper than goo gone ! Will have to pick some up.

1 Like

Awesome! Wouldn’t have expected it to be so simple.

1 Like

Bookmarked! :grinning:

1 Like

excellent, thanks

1 Like

Great! The abrasive is fine grain pumice.
I would work fast to limit absorption that would tend to slightly raise the grain especially on softer wood.

7 Likes

Yes, the Fast Orange product contains oils (in emulsion) and dampness that could raise the grain in the wood. Maybe someone knows of drier products with pumice or some other fine abrasive? Rock polishers have cans of fine abrasives that come to mind. - Rich

2 Likes

I plan to also try a damp melamine sponge. (aka: Magic Eraser) It’s abrasive on a microscopic level. (Excellent for scuffing up the surface on the printer PEI plate to make things stick, without damaging the finish on the bottoms of the prints.)

12 Likes

@Jules, the Magic Eraser is a very good idea. You don’t need to dampen it unless it is very hard. Wring out as much as you can and let dry a little before you use it. Make sure it doesn’t have bleach in it if you don’t desire that effect. Try on scrap first (as with any technique). - Rich

4 Likes

I use chem sponges all the time to remove dirt and odor from old bookS. I’m pretty sure they’re made for cleaning up after fires. You use them dry, and they don’t leave any residue and they aren’t abrasive. Which I suppose is a given considering I said I use them on books. Lol. I think they’re just porous rubber. When they get dirty, if you pull them apart, you can see where the dirt traveled inwards (I actually recommend pulling them in two when you first get them. Gives you more surface area for the money).

I have no idea how they’ll perform for cleaning up after lasering - maybe the grooves will be too tight to fully clean? - but I’ll plan on trying and will report back… in a few weeks when I get a glowforge in the mail :blush:

9 Likes