International ProofgradeTM shipping

No but does that have any relevance? You pay a sum and import some goods. You should be taxed on the amount you paid for those goods and the shipping. If it had anything to do with what you clicked on two years ago it should use the exchange rate then, not now, but it doesn’t.

The relevance is that is precisely a gift and therefore is governed by the laws regarding gifts… it wasn’t bought or payed for, and that is last I checked the definition of gift. Or has Glowforge redefined what a gift is now too?

Let me just add that I agree with you, a free gift should be free. International customers having to pay import fees or taxes of any kind on this free gift is rediculous.

All I’m trying to say is that I think it is reasonable for Glowforge to consider the PG a gift, and that the laws regarding gifts should be followed. It’s annoying GF doesn’t seem to be picking up the bill for the PG import fees (VAT, ect.) But it would be incorrect for them to mislabel the value.

It isn’t a free gift because you only get it if you pay them thousands of Dollars for a GF. That gets you a GF, a crumb tray and some PG in separate packages. If GF had made it a three part consignment with a single commercial invoice showing what we had actually paid for those goods then we would get taxed the correct amount. Sending an invoice with the PG that says we paid for the shipping is not true. We didn’t pay that invoice, GF did from the money we paid them. They just made less profit.

3 Likes

Okay, I see that point… you’re right, sorry for adding to the confusion.

That bring said, have you never heard of a gift with conditions? Like, “buy this item and I’ll throw in this other one for free”? I guess that counts more as a discount/deal than gift… nevermind :laughing:

3 Likes

We assign a customs value of $150 USD to the Proofgrade Starter Pack. We also reduce the customs value of the Glowforge by $150.

I see you’ve also emailed us about this and other questions pertaining to your account and we’re handling it there, so I’m going to close this thread. If you have other questions, please start a new topic or reach out to support@glowforge.com

4 Likes