Intricate cut paper

Hey, Combine these ideas (strips of magnetic tape glued to the underside of a laser-cut frame), and it would be really easy to quickly secure the paper, and to remove afterwards!

2 Likes

Just need to keep in mind clearances with the laser head and gantry.

What about laying down 2 layers of glass with the paper between? that way everything would stay flat, nothing would get blown away or fall down the cracksā€¦ would that work?

1 Like

Isnā€™t glass opaque to CO2 lasers?

that I do not knowā€¦ which is why I was asking.

however, there has to be something that is not opaque to the laser, as they said the assembly is completely sealed. so whatever transparent material they are using to seal the laser assembly could be used to sandwich the paper being cut to keep from it going everywhereā€¦

does anyone have any more insight into this? I googled this approach and didnt see it anywhereā€¦

This was discussed recently here. Search for Zinc Selenide. Would probably be too expensive/delicate/dangerous to use to sandwich paper.

Great idea

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:570835/ does what you want. If you tweak the blizzard script slightly itā€™ll generate SVG files, like this:

#!/bin/bash
for i in seq 1 750;
do
/Applications/OpenSCAD.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenSCAD -D seed=$i -o ./flakes/snowflake-$i.svg ./snowflake2dV1.scad
done

Itā€™s based on a script I wrote to generate snowflakes for 3d printing, then tweaked by Tom Speller to flatten and trace the outline.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 29 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.