Introducing Snapmark (September 2018)

Srsly? I’ll bet there’s a way to kill the updater somewhere…must go find it.

1 Like

This is my first attempt and it does not seem to line up after pressing the snap button. Is this normal? Trust the software not the screen?

1 Like

Generally yes.

One thing you can do to check it before engraving the pencils themselves, set them to Ignore, and re-engrave the Snapmarks at a low power to see if they hit the original marks.

(Oh, and you might want to turn the pencils around in the slots…I think you’re going to hit the ferrules.)

3 Likes

Decided to trust the software and it was off.

1 Like

Okay, in your second picture it’s a little easier to see what is going on…

You’re not using a material for the jig that is roughly the same thickness as the pencils. (It says to do that in the instructions, because you will likely need to go in and manually adjust focal points if you don’t.)

Paper makes a really crappy jig. If you have some corrugated cardboard, that will likely work a lot better for this.

When you enter the Unknown Material thickness, use the thickness for the jig material (cardboard), load your new file and then let it snap, using the cardboard thickness. Some of that misalignment might be from using the paper as a jig. (Did you enter the height of the paper in the Unknown Materials slot before snapping?)

2 Likes

I used pg medium draftboard. I put in the pencil height though. Is this the issue?

Great point, I used thick material cutting the supplied jig and it worked perfectly. I then made a jig for more pencils, business cards and for my acrylic pen barrels. it was made from a medium material so i had to adjust the file when loaded to the UI. The snapmark works great never an issue even though the pencils and barrels slightly above the material…

1 Like

Might be a contributor. Use the jig material height for the snapping part.
(And for gosh sakes, get some cardboard…draftboard is too expensive to waste on a test jig.) :wink:

1 Like

Only thing that will matters to the Snapmark process is the thickness of the jig material, not the pencils. And that would only matter if the process of looking for the Snapmarks depends on a proper dewarping of the lid image. The Snapmark process doesn’t care how thick the pencils are. Doesn’t even care if the pencils are there or if there is anything else in the file. Only the final engraving will care and you could set that up separately once things are snapped to place.

3 Likes

Progress:
Today I could actually run using snapmarks–hit the icon, and it searched for them & found them, moved the artwork & got message “looking good! ready to print” (or whatever it is).
(last week didn’t get that far!).

Problem:
Hit print, and my GFUI went black–like the camera was OFF.
I still hit the button when it came on, and it did etch my artwork per the template I set up–no pop-up screen for the job–the GFUI remained dark throughout, even after I changed material on the the bed, and reclosed the lid. Even tried “refresh bed image”. Nothing.

I finally went to Home and tried tracing an image I had changed to on the media on the bed, and then the camera came back ON & I could see the bed again.

Any ideas to explain this?

Nope. Never seen that. :neutral_face:
(What browser are you running?)

Did you get a replacement at some point? If so it maybe on your old one, you can add your name to the list for support to look at.

1 Like

Of course YOU would know the actual name for those things. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It never even occurred to me to wonder if there was one!

4 Likes

I did thanks. I added my name.

Chuckle! Mom’s an artist… it’s the same for the metal parts on paintbrushes.

Quote…“Don’t ever let paint dry in the ferrule, it ruins the brush.” (Wisdom from mom.)

8 Likes

Not sure anyone from GF is looking at it though. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone on the list get theirs turned on.

I for some reason cannot figure out how to add my name to this, but I went to test this baby out today, and it’s sadly assigned to the unit I had to send back.

Several of us are in that same boat.

2 Likes

Mine did!

2 Likes

Ha ha…I had to look it up, too! Now, I know another new word. And, I was thinking the exact same thing…‘only Jules’.

2 Likes