Introducing Snapmark (September 2018)

My new machine is enabled, but I had emailed bonnie prior to the list, so I may not be a true metric.

2 Likes

I’m going to start taking it personally :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Click on the Edit button at the bottom of the post. Then just add your name under the others on the left panel.

3 Likes

I’d pay money for this to be available on the standard model.

Mine is on now on the new unit! Just in time to start wrapping up my work for the day to pick the kid up from school haha! Staying up late tonight it is!

5 Likes

I just ran a new circuit to the garage so tonight I’ll be playing with my plasma cutter :slightly_smiling_face: I figure I have a few weeks where I’ll have that as a distraction (I’m upscaling some designs I’ve done for the laser to make them out of steel or aluminum) before I seriously gnash my teeth at not having Snapmarks on the new GF :grin:

4 Likes

is this the support forum? the first day i got the snapmark feature i had it working great, but for the last two days it has been unable to align and after scanning the marks it tries to go ‘past’ home, causing the machine to shutter. is anyone else experiencing this?

No, I don’t see that and this is the correct place to report the issue. If you have something you want the team to see, it helps to tag Bonny about it by typing @bonny . (She’s the coordinator.)

2 Likes

@bonny it’s not doing the thing where it attempted to go past home and shuttered, but still unable to align to snapmarks and a few times after scanning, the art tilted a few degrees clockwise. i’ve tried turning off and logging out and back in and re-uploading the file and i’ve tried uploading a new file with the snapmarks spaced a little farther apart. still no success.

Well, that’s… one thing she does. But only the tiniest tip of the iceberg.

8 Likes

Apologies, I know as the product manager she does indeed stay hopping. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

So what size should the snap marks be?can someone post the file? I think it has something to do with it being a “save as” webpage, instead of an actual file. Even grouping the glowforge marks and they are still independently movable inside of the glowforge software… mine will scan the snap marks just fine and then commence to printing on the other side of bed- so the size thing makes sense. When I placed them in the illustrator file they were 14” apart- is that right? Anyway if someone can send me the file as an svg- that would be great.

1 Like

It’s linked in the instruction page: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/first-three-prints/snapmark. It’s “save as” because it’s actually a text file of computer instructions. If the size is changing for you, it’s more likely to be something to do with how your vector program is saving files.

2 Likes

Created a jig for salt and pepper shakers. I cant seem to get the snap to work when placing my art file. See attached photo. When I snap it goes through the process and then nothing happens. I did not ignore my score lines yet to see if that helped with the snap but it didn’t change the outcome.

I use Affinity Designer and I was also getting the snap marks in at a smaller size, which rendered the whole thing unusable. Thanks to some very bright people on here, it was discovered that the dpi for my ‘new document’ (to which I was pasting the marks) was different that the actual snap mark logos. Once I got that fixed, it worked like a charm.

Ok- looking at the coding yes- there are SVG instructions encoded on the web page. What DPI does it need to be.

What DPI does it need to be?

Whichever program you are using for adding the text and designs, once you have added a set of the Snapmarks to the file, check the size of the individual Snapmarks in that program, and make sure that the size for each Snapmark is exactly 0.3322" x 0.4047". Resize them if you need to. Then Save As an SVG for the file, using at least 3 decimal places accuracy.

I think the problem is that the individual programs we are using are interpreting the Snapmarks at their own unique resolution when they open them, and resizing them before they ever get to the GFUI.

(I wrote an AI action that drops a set of correctly sized Snapmarks into any new file, but you can do the same thing by just saving your own template with the correctly sized Snapmarks for your software.)

And this is a temporary measure…the development team was able to find a work around for this after the first round of testing.

7 Likes

Thank you! This is what I needed. Is this W x H?

1 Like

Yes, they need to remain in vertical orientation so the smaller measurement is the width.

1 Like