Introducing Snapmark (September 2018)

Do they need to be spaced a certain amount apart or just be aligned
?

1 Like

No, they just need to be vertical. They don’t have to be a certain distance apart, or even aligned horizontally (although it’s recommended)…with one exception…do not set the left mark too close to an edge of the material - come in a bit (quarter inch at least) so the little red locator dot doesn’t fall off the edge during the snapping search.

5 Likes

my snap marks are exact size, just not snapping.

That’s a different problem. If you want to zip and post the file I can take a look at it. What software are you using?

Adobe Illustrator

Okay that’s cool…I use Illustrator. If you want to Zip and load your SVG file I can try to load it and see what happens.

1 Like

Attached filesShakers.zip (3.3 KB)

Catching up on this amazing development. I cannot wait for my opportunity to test it. It will make some things very, very, VERY easy.

Question: Can you use any form of marking for snapping as long as it is always identical from design to design AND present on the target area?

1 Like

Okay, I’m looking…will get back to you if I find anything.

No. Must be the supplied marks.

1 Like

So the :glowforge: marks?

Is it that they have to be precisely 4" or whatever it is apart, or always consistent file to target? (Sorry if the question has already been asked and I missed the answer before.)

I’m pretty sure it’s 72

You need to use the :glowforge: in the template but placement is fairly liberal.

Okay - something for you to try…

I just ran your file…there’s nothing wrong with it and it snapped just fine. So that leads me to believe there’s something going on with the visuals on the jig/shakers. It might be the difference in height between the surface of the jig and the surface of the shakers, and whether you used the correct thickness for the Snapping function.

Did you use the correct thickness of the jig (difference above 1.4 inches tray thickness) in the Unknown Materials slot right before you did the Snapping?

If not:

1. Take the shakers out.
  2. Make sure the Jig is fastened to the base and cannot shift. (Double stick tape would work on the bottom.)
  3. Use the incremental height of the Jig surface above the tray height to enter the material thickness in the Unknown Materials column.
  4. Do the Snap. (If it is successful, continue.)
  5. Put the shakers back in the holes.
  6. Manually set the Focal Point for the Engrave to be equal to the incremental height of the surface of the shakers above the surface of the tray.
  7. Send the Engrave to Print.

Do not move anything on the bed or the screen. The only thing you want to change is the values in the thumbnail column.

1 Like

It’s 96. What we’ve been finding is that programs are using 72 and the resulting snapmarks are off by a factor of 72:96. All that really matters is the WxH that Jules supplied.

1 Like

thought I would post a picture of my first sucess with the snapmarks from my other thread.

As @markevans36301 you need to use the Snapmarks contained in the template file. The marks need to be a precise size and unaltered. Some of the 3rd party design packages will inadvertantly change the size. They don’t need to be a specific distance apart and can even be offset somewhat in the vertical plane. The position of the Snapmarks does not matter with respect to other objects in the file. You could test Snapmark success without anything else in the file.

One thing to watch out for… Don’t move the Snapmarks individually within the GF interface. You can move them as a set keeping the same relative position before printing but if you move them individually it will cause a fail. If you need to move the Snapmark positions, do it within a 3rd party design package before uploading to the GF user interace. That might be fixed in the future but it is an issue as of 20 Sept 2018.

4 Likes

Well, once that magnet shows in my screen, I will start playing with it. It will revolutionize templates, to be sure.

Well, I’m not that mathematically inclined but why, when my document was already set at 96 dpi, did the snap marks come in wrong…and when I reset my document to 72, they worked? I did set them to be the exact proper size and all is well, but were I to download them again directly, like I did the first time, if my document was set to 96, they would come in too small.