Introducing Snapmark (September 2018)

As has been repeatedly mentioned, delivering the advertised features would be fine too. I think that’s a big part of the response to this. Dan’s initial post on the subject made this sound like it was some neat thing they’re under no obligation to deliver. It is a workaround for something they are obligated to deliver, and since it appears to work quite well, there’s a lot of demand for it.

4 Likes

Or at all. Some machines just aren’t capable yet.

I know firsthand how frustrating it is to watch everyone do amazing things with Snapmarks and not have it, but I don’t think constantly complaining is helpful either. I’d rather they provide features like this to as many people as possible than not offer things in the future because those who don’t have it get upset. It’s a beta feature. Hopefully we’ll all get it (for free!). Until then, verbal riots aren’t going to hurry anything along.

3 Likes

I had Snapmark on my machine and then had to get a replacement machine. No Snapmarks now, and I have a commissioned project that I haven’t been able to figure out how to complete without them. :frowning:

Regardless, I understand why it is the way it is, and I’m just happy to see that the GF team is making progress on making our machines more accurate.

3 Likes

The Snapmarks are basically to make reusable jigs. Yes, we have been using them for print and cut, etc. but the same principle can still apply to making a jig. I love the Snapmarks and they make life easier - but you can definitely make reusable jigs without them. And also print and cut.

If you post up what you need help with, I’d bet we could get it solved.

3 Likes

In this case, I just haven’t been able to figure out a reliable jig that will work, for a project that requires removing the tray. Snapmarks would make it a snap (pun intended). I can’t post the project here, but if I come up with a way to describe it that makes sense, I will.

1 Like

That stinks. My alignment is fairly spot on right under the camera, but I have an idea for a workaround elsewhere on the bed. I’ve accepted that I might never get Snapmarks… I hope I do, but I’ve decided I need to move forward like it doesn’t exist.

2 Likes

And happy cake day! :slight_smile:

1 Like

My brilliant husband has figured out a way for me to use snapmarks to improve the accuracy of my engravings on the backs of Scrabble tiles. It has improved my workflow drastically. So happy to have this feature available. I’m getting used to using snapmarks and it has cut down on my waste and reprinting to the nth degree. So grateful to my hubs and also Glowforge for this tool that has greatly increased efficiency and ease of use!! Took a bit to figure out how to best use it to our advantage, but now that we have it down, it’s a dream.

3 Likes

I’m checking roughly weekly to see if my phantom Snapmark issue has resolved itself (as described above, I get the “scanning…” message, which then disappears with no apparent result). So far, it’s still behaving that way. Keeping fingers and toes crossed… :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

That was my experience. I feel bad that I have access to Snapmarks when I don’t actually have a use for it (yet). I’d gladly give my access to someone who needs it now if I could.

2 Likes

One of the best applications for the Snapmarks IMO is the Print and Cut application…it’s just so much easier to get digital cutter accuracy with the laser:

Another Print & Cut example:
Results: Perfect!

With horizontal alignment first:

BH1

And testing with rotation (on cheap copy paper - that photopaper is pricey…) :smile:

Before snap:

After snap:

Perfect cut!

I make these little gift boxes for small trinkets, I have a few designs in different shapes and sizes…

You can really knock these out in a hurry with the laser - it’s much faster than the digital cutters, and the snapmarks (usually) take less time to snap than running through the three-point registration marks search on the cutters. (Not to mention cutting faster, and no hang-ups in the corners like you get with a knife.)

18 Likes

Beautiful Jules.
Now, if only I had snapmarks… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Soon, soon…
(Soon being a relative term here.) :wink:

4 Likes

What I find weird in your pictures is the direction of your smoke/flames off to the upper right. If your printer head fan was working correctly they would be pointing down. If it was not working it would cause a great many other problems including as seems to be the case from the photos that the smoke would flame up pretty constantly scorching the wood and perhaps even cooking the printer head and making very inconsistent cuts depending on how much smoke and flame the laser had to cut through to reach the wood.

I have been wrong many times but looking into this may improve your results no matter what else if I am right.

If you are making a cut or engrave near the front of the bed you should be able to lean over and see the fan spinning consistently and not even off and on. From the look of the cut I suspect that it is not spinning at all. But like I say I could be wrong about that.

2 Likes

that’s a good catch. if the air assist is not working, the direction of the char on the material would be upper left like that, since that’s where the exhaust fan is pulling from.

1 Like

Same here. No joy.

1 Like

More Print and Cut examples:
(Just going to load these all up in one place, I think everyone understands how to do it by now.)

Fiddling with border offsets:

Another birdhouse box:

Some kaleidocycles:
https://community.glowforge.com/uploads/short-url/n9GtdrT9Z4bofagYix08f5XyWlg.jpg

Some laser and inkjet polyurethane stickers for Halloween decoration of bottles and spices:

Last but not least, (because these things are fun), some triskele:

(And I showed the Pepakura earlier…that’s a prime example too.)

That’s probably enough for this weekend. :smile:

(Oh sorry, I just realized Dan used a few of these up top…didn’t mean to duplicate.)

20 Likes

I just got a good explanation from Bonny yesterday regarding my particular Snapmarks issue. It was apparently a glitch in the roll-out to my machine where they did not yet have the calibration dialed in for it. I apparently got Snapmarks activated before it was ready for my machine.

I’m looking forward to getting the feature!

6 Likes

Relative indeed! I would like this before I have grand-children, please… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You should get the grandchildren first. They’re WAY better. :slight_smile:

8 Likes