Introducing Snapmark (September 2018)

I have checked and re-checked. They didn’t load into my program the right size, so I resized them to .332 x .405. Oh, and I am using Make The Cut software.

Edited to add that they load into Make The Cut as .3583 x .4208, which is weird, because this is the first file (ever!) to not load the right size.

Glowforge markets the device as if pass-trough works without manual side indexing. That may explain why many took delivery . A new customer is not reading the community board. They are reading the Glowforge marketing page and believing what they see. What do you see in this image?

I see a piece of material too large to fit into the machine without the use of the pass-through slots, in what looks to be the middle of a second round of cutting and /or engraving a a part that while skinny, appears to be longer than 24 inches. I do not see any sign of a side index or indexing pin being used,

2 Likes

I see several hours and many linear feet of material spent trying to dial in a non-Snapmark pass-through workflow. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

/experience

1 Like

@shronimo, I’m not familiar with MTC, and I can’t recall anyone who was using MTC software with these during testing. It’s likely the source of the errors that you’re seeing. (Each program has it’s own way of interpreting an SVG file when it is imported, based on the import DPI settings for that program. So it could very well be importing the Snapmarks at the wrong size.)

What is equally important though, is to make sure that when you export the file to SVG, (or save it, or whatever you do in MTC), that you have the export settings at 96 DPI. That is what the Glowforge interface expects to see, and if you export your file at 96 DPI, the marks should not be resized.

(First thing though is to always design your files on a 20" x 12" artboard. It’s a workaround to fix the incorrect sizing issues that pop up from all of the different design software.)

So your options are to:

1. Design on a 20" x 12" artboard. (Always.)
  2. Export the correctly sized Snapmarks (you might need to resize them in MTC first) at 96 DPI.
  3. If you can set the import DPI on your MTC software, set it to 96 DPI as well, and you won’t have to resize the marks in the program.

Hopefully doing that will allow the GFUI to correctly interpret the size of the Snapmarks for MTC files. (If not, you’re going to probably need to use Inkscape for your Snapmark files. I don’t know that the team has addressed using MTC files yet.)

1 Like

Must be some goodly experience in play to pull that off without snapmark or any apparent side indexing.

Nothing that I can’t do right now without Snapmarks or a jig. The top parts are not obviously too large to fit within the 10.975" height window. Then a slide up & out the back and do the bottom design.

What can’t be done is a 20" tall object or engrave without manual intervention both in the design software & the material handling (jigs or indexing off the side of the bed).

1 Like

I have been able to do most things with various workarounds. But I’m also fairly technically and mechanically experienced. Some of us forget that the average person is not comfortable with jigs. Try to think about all the people who have been unable to do the simple math for removing the crumb tray. Not everyone can do it. Others expect the hype and features to match. That is also not unreasonable. Try to cut them some slack.

1 Like

I can tell you that when opening your file in Illustrator, they load as .3078x.3895".

In your SVG file, the code explicitly states: mtc:dpi=“90”.

As you can see just by this thread, they’ve ran into a lot of trouble with various things… so many complaints about everyone not having them (I don’t have them), but seems like a good reason that they haven’t been released to the entire Glowforge population.

1 Like

Interesting. I opened my file, and the snapmarks template in Illustrator, but couldn’t find the size…and that’s currently why I don’t use it much, because I don’t know that program very well yet. As for MTC, even though I do know that program well, I can’t find the dpi.

I imported the snapmarks svg again, but this time didn’t change the size, printed out my stuff, and the glowforge found it! Snapmarks finally worked!

I’ve never had to adjust a file size with MTC before, it’s always been spot on…until this one, which I found odd. Turns out, going in to the program, and coming out, things are the same. I don’t quite understand the dpi issue, but nonetheless, I finally got it to work.
Thank you @Jules for taking the time (yet again) to help another lost soul. After reading your post to me, I figured the size had to be the problem. And @jbmanning5, thank you for checking my file, that confirms what the problem is. After months of not being able to get snapmarks to work, and trying everything (but leaving the size wrong in MTC), I’m so glad it’s figured out.

Now hopefully I can get it to work on other files as well. I am comfortable with jigs, but since I actually got the quite coveted snapmarks, I was determined to figure them out!

1 Like

Oh heck!

14iC
Of course they are likely compensating for it now for individual programs. :woman_facepalming:

Okay…I’ve got to go delete some notes. I think 'll just take everything out except the Jig usage. That’s the only “official” use for them anyway. The rest can wait for the release.

1 Like

Its possible that MTC is including the stroke size in the overall object size. This has popped up, especially in Inkscape. When they are resized by you to get them to the “right” size, they are actually the wrong size.

Hmm, that makes sense. In MTC, the snapmarks are not filled. It’s just a single width line…just a path, no outline to go around. I’m still weirded out that it imported a different size, because it’s always been exact.
I guess I’m not sure where the problem actually lies then, other than the size was (is?) my issue, but either way, I’m glad I finally got it working. I have tried so many times, only to give up for a month before I tried again. Many hours invested for sure. Hopefully my hours of trial and error will help someone else too.

Look, I don’t know if MTC is the cause of your Snapmark woes, but it is hot garbage. Do yourself a favor and pick ANY OTHER vector art app! If you can afford a Glowforge, you can afford $50 for SCAL or Affinity Designer.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sigh, yeah, I know…but I know how to use the program already. (And just between you and me, I borrowed the money for the glowforge, shhhh, don’t tell anyone)
I do have other programs to use, like illustrator, but my brain is getting tired of learning new software. I know enough to get by in Photoshop, and thought that would translate over to illustrator, but boy was I wrong! I feel so lost in there, even after youtubing hours of how-to videos.
I’ll get to a new program, eventually.

I used MTC for years because it came with my vinyl cutter, but recently switched to SCAL. It took literally 3 minutes running the demo to see that it lacked MTC’s weird quirks. SCAL also has vastly superior rhinestone features–that alone was worth $50. It saved me hours on my last project.

I know how tempting it is to stick with the devil you know… but since you have Illustrator already, it will serve you much better in the long run. Keep at it, and you will soon find it very rewarding!

1 Like

I have thought long and hard about SCAL…since I still need that or MTC for my vinyl cutter too. Well, maybe I’ll look at that program a little more then. MTC was great when they were still updating it…but that was a while ago now. And I need something better for my Mac…MTC sucks on it, it’s always crashing. Quick question (and I hope no one minds me derailing from this snapmarks thread too much), but how easy do MTC files move over into SCAL?

SCAL won’t read MTC’s native format, but with MTC you can save as SVG, which SCAL will read. Of course you lose layers, etc that way. But I think that is as good as it gets.

MTC’s editor is weird and buggy, but it does a fine job of driving the cutter. You could always do your vinyl designs in Illustrator, then export final art to SVG and cut with MTC.

I can’t say enough good things about SCAL compared to MTC… but an app like Illustrator is light years ahead of SCAL, and has a much bigger user community to help you, too, which will also make it easier to do stuff like Snapmarks.

(I also apologize to the thread for participating in derailment.)

1 Like

Just wanted to share a small success from a couple days ago–my first real application of Snap Marks–had a lot more business cards to make, and 40 minutes of etching + cutting per sheet was just too long. So I decided to create files to use SM’s–printing the text & snap mark with my laser printer, and then the cut file so only few minutes to cut out each card. 5 min/sheet a lot nicer, though my printer didn’t like the heavy metallic card stock I had, so could only use these wood veneer (12pt) sheets. The pic is the printed and the etched versions. Although the laser printed black is flat, I do like it’s much easier to see than the etched, though not quite a cool…

Thinking of getting cards with raised ink (that I like) and make a jig like @Jules shows in one helpful post, to cut out the guitar detail…

8 Likes

You could do a quick score outline of all the text to add a bit of texture to the cards. The Snapmarks will ensure alignment with the print.

1 Like

Thanks for the idea–I’ll try that method out soon!