Introduction: making my back hurt

Hi Everyone,

First post, and very much new to glowforge, it’s not even here yet.

My name is Anselm, and I’ve done lots of different artsy things over the years, mainly ceramics and jewelry (ended up getting a minor in studio art related to those 2 things). But I haven’t touched almost anything in 3 years (due to depression, illness, and focusing mainly on improving mental health and getting a stable job). With most of those things (hopefully) behind me, I saw the GlowForge add on facebook and my creative side sparked again. I just had to have it, and after a couple more months of saving up, I’ll be receiving the Pro this Tuesday (I have a habit of wanting the best; thanks stable job).

I just received the shipping confirmation today and saw that it was 106 pounds, and since my physical health hasn’t really recovered that much, it makes my back ache just thinking about it lol.

Nevertheless, I can’t wait. I haven’t been excited over anything in years, but I am for this. I’ve already probably spent 40+ hours just reading the How-Tos and seeing everyone’s amazing creations. I can’t wait to officially be apart of such an amazing community.

14 Likes

Welcome! You’re taking the right approach, reading up in advance. Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

3 Likes

Welcome! Definitely have a friend on hand to help moving it around! No one wants to be laid up staring at their new machine!

Can’t wait to see what you make. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome @Anselm-M. Your intuition is right that the Glowforge would be a great tool to get that creativity out and into the wild. Looking forward to seeing what you make. You have started out well with reading the How Tos. Lots of good info and so many great designs to download and play with from the Free Designs category.

3 Likes

Welcome. I think my pro weighed 76 pounds, but it is unwieldy so best to find someone to help lift it onto your work surface. Can’t wait to see what you create.

4 Likes

Total shipment includes the crumb tray package, and possibly the materials.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community! We’ll all be looking forward to seeing what you make. As mentioned, it’s not so much that it’s really heavy as it is extremely large and unwieldy, so hopefully you can recruit a friend or relative to help you get it to it’s new home. After that, it will be smooth sailing. Best of luck.

1 Like

Welcome! GF is an amazing & fun tool, and worth any wait–be sure to have at least one helper to set it up, and place it on a rigid table (you don’t want it to flex or rack). And I like having mine set one about a 30" table top–I’m 5’4" and that lets me easily see the bed while loading (and not opening the lid fully) & reach the power switch!

So with your sore back, be sure to decide what will be a comfortable working height for working on the crumb tray (about 4" above the table surface height).

2 Likes

You’re already officially a member of this amazing community! You are gonna love it. Don’t be shy, show us what you make.

I’m thinking that weight total is split up among 3 packages unless things have changed since I got mine. But still too much for one person (except the FedEx or UPS person who will hoist it on their shoulder and plunk it down upside down. Don’t panic, it’ll probably be fine.).

3 Likes

Welcome, I am a prowner as well. You will absolutely love it. I have made some amazing designs from the free designs until I can fully understand the tinkercad program and the cadworxlive program. I have not posted pictures of any projects just don’t want to put up a design someone created and I just copied it. You are going to love the pro for the speed and the size of material you will be able to use. Have a great time learning and creating.

3 Likes

You can move it solo if you have long enough arms and good core strength. I didn’t have a lot of trouble with mine, though it was a little awkward. Definitely not something to attempt if you aren’t in good shape though.

5 Likes

It’s not that heavy. I have a 3 level lumbar fusion and I can pick it up and move it around. Just use your head and be smarter than gravity.

Level is really good, but flat is important. The lid will rub if there is any racking, or twist in the somewhat flexible case of the machine Get your surface and venting squared away. Then start thinking about material storage. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Welcome to the club, thanks for joining us!

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community :hugs:
I also spent many years in ceramics and even more in jewelry both built and 3D printed many years before there were computers to help out with that. Others here have amazing other paths as well. I was always put off by those of so narrow a scope as only one expression, but not much of that here.

I also have tough back issues, and my Pro sat in the entry for a couple of days till I could get help. A good thing to have platforms on wheels that at least things can get from room to room without having to walk and carry at the same time, but just putting in place is pretty much a two-person job.

Having good skills in vector and image software is key and separate from Glowforge operation and time getting good at those is well spent. I had skills in Gimp but had never touched Inkscape and focused on that while waiting.

2 Likes

Depending on the level of strength you have - you’ll find you can do some things, and not others. I have very limited strength in my arms and hands for instance. In comparison, I have trouble lifting a full water glass to my lips. So, in case it helps… I place my entire right forearm underneath the front of the lid to open it and use both hands to close. @evansd2 designed what we call The Openator for me, which enables me to open the front door/flap. I’m asking him herewith to send you the design should you need it.

Meanwhile, I’ve compiled this handy fact sheet you might find useful:

Have fun when you get it all set up - with help.

4 Likes

Post it wherever you like, it’s all yours :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! It feels so good to be enabled. Why don’t you post it to the free design section? it is yours after all. I can send/add the photo to it. Some may find it useful.

1 Like

Nah, go for it, it will be more effective with a testimony.

3 Likes

In case this can help you out:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.