iPad Holder

“Alternately organized”

Regular people have a defective gene that requires everything to be in the “correct” place so they can find it. Creative types want things where they’ll be easiest to get to and ready to use the next time.

I have a book about the efficiency of clutter & “disorganization”. Unfortunately I lent it out so don’t have the title handy but it was the result of some studies on how to work most efficiently. Turns out having piles of stuff on your desk, etc. is more efficient than filing things. The stuff you are using & re-using for current projects tends to stay on the top of piles (& you remember which one something’s in) and as the usefulness of anything is reduced it migrates downward. So you are almost always only fingertips away from what you need. The effort in organized filing and then keeping the filing taxonomy straight or updated for new things exceeds the benefit you get in being able to find something all the time - the overall efficiency of filing is reduced by the small inefficiency times all accesses. The inefficiency of finding something in a stack on your desk is only impactful for old (and thus less used/needed) items. The former outweighs the latter in real life. Once you finally put away a project it tends to be put away for a long time.

BTW, you had a good point before. I’m wondering if the display holder should be offset toward the back a bit to account for the center of gravity and prevent tip-overs.

11 Likes

Funny that I can know where most stuff is in the house because it’s the logical place to put it…usually within reach of where it’s used or needed.
Drives me nuts when someone “puts it away” where the world says it’s supposed to be…lol

So does that mean I’m irregular… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Me three! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Never lose things until I get forced into a cleaning spree due to pending parental visit, and then it takes months to recover.

7 Likes

LMAO! So true :smile:

4 Likes

Oh wow. We were thinking about putting an ipad in a kiosk when people check in to the office for printing badges and stuff. I think this raised the bar on our plans.

18 Likes

Did you create this as 2 layers in a single design file and save each layer as a separate SVG?

When I opened one of the files in Corel 8 it had a weird artifact with a node sitting far off the parts and a dense pack of lines between that node and a few of the cutouts. Deleting the node also deleted a few cutouts.

So I opened them in Inkscape and one had some superfluous track paths. Figured I’d be messing around fixing those but tried AI. That gave me clean objects except one file seemed to have objects from the other file embedded (I had to “save as” the top & bottom image SVGs you attached so had 2 files).

Weird stuff. Ended up going through AI to DXF to prep for the laser. I have two file sets ready to go - both eat up most of an 18x24 bed. I’ve got to grab some birch ply and give it a cut.

Seems like getting the interchange files working with different receiving software is going to be the trickiest part of this. My Corel is the latest (X8), my Inkscape is the latest open source download and my AI is a few versions back (CS3) because I don’t like their new software rental model. Then of course I have to get it through the laser cutter’s software or “print” drivers.

Looking forward to Glowforge’s plug & play. :+1:

2 Likes

That’s weird.

I did have 2 layers in my inkscape file, and saved each layer as separate SVGs. I prefer it that way, since I only have to keep one file.

I could save them as PDFs. That would probably get rid of the artifacts in the SVGs.

ipad_holder_p2_revised.pdf (8.4 KB)
ipad_holder_p1_revised.pdf (65.8 KB)

9 Likes

Sorry, I missed your “can I try it out” question yesterday. Yes, by all means, please try one out.

2 Likes

i used your design but modified it to my needs…will cut it today and post😀

6 Likes

No biggie. I’ve noticed odd stuff moving between programs and interchange files. Once I realized it was a multi-layer original I got around it. AI has a feature that I use to only export the DXF files I need for the big laser based on the objects (or layers) I’ve picked so I just made sure I got the correct layers.

Looks like I may be behind Stephanie in getting it cut (gotta finish those submarines :slight_smile:) but if she reports any issues I’ll incorporate any fixes in the one I cut to send to you.

I brought in my iPad to work so I could get specific measurements…What version iPad is this for, cause it won’t fit mine…lol Mine is 4th gen and is much wider…by 3/4" Glad I checked…lol

2 Likes

I got the specs off the Internet for an IPad Air I think.

2 Likes

So which way is it wider (the long side, or the short side)?

Short side. It measures 7.312" x 9.5"

I used the dimensions from this document:

https://developer.apple.com/cases/Case-Design-Guidelines.pdf

I’m using the ones for the iPad Air 2 with Wifi (p. 46).

2 Likes

Well, after alot of modification to fit my iPad, its done…plan to paint and stain it. I moved the center point farther back on the base to compensate for weight and its pretty solid…
The key is holding well.
Nice design @polarbrainfreeze!!

44 Likes

That turned out great! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Love it. Do you ever do any WORK on your lasers anymore?:grin:

5 Likes

Lol. Only during work hours…Friday is my day off​:grinning::grinning:

3 Likes

Nice. Qtr inch ply?