Is Houston having a problem tonight?

I am having difficulty accessing the interface? I able to get to the dashboard. Using Safari with 3 different Apple devices. iPad, Macbook and iPhone. All 3 of them are struggling to access the interface.

2 Likes

Sorry I haven’t been on but am able to connect like usual…

1 Like

Thank you for checking. I tried accessing with Safari and Chrome. I am not able to get to the interface.

1 Like

Might have been part of this:

4 Likes

I just want to give a tiny bit of generic advice for reporting problems. It’s a simple, easy-to-remember phrase that meant a lot to me when I was doing tech support, and still does whenever I have a bug to fix at work:

I did this, I expected that, but I got something else.

Or, to put it another way, don’t tell them what’s not happening, tell them what the symptoms are.

For example

• Instead of: My car won’t start.
  • Try: I put the key in and turn it, and it usually goes “rrr, rrr” and starts right up, but now it makes a kind of ticking sound and the check engine light flashes 10 times.

or

• Instead of: I am not able to get to the interface.
  • Try: On my Macbook, I type app.glowforge.com into Safari and instead of loading the interface, it says Safari can’t open the page “app.glowforge.com” because Safari can’t find the server "app.glowforge.com. (or whatever the actual symptoms are)

Imagine being on the other end of one of those reports. The first way of stating it gives you exactly nothing to go on, whereas the second suggests some troubleshooting steps.

So remember, if you want tech support to love you: I did this, I expected that, I got something else.

7 Likes

@JimmyWayneWestie I’m so sorry to hear you are not able to access the interface on Safari and Chrome. I want to look into this issue more for you.

Could you please do the following:

1. Go to https://www.whatismybrowser.com/
  2. Look for the header that says “Your web browser’s unique URL”
  3. Click the button that says “Copy URL to Clipboard”
  4. Reply to this, and paste in the link provided

If possible, could you please post a screenshot of what you see in the Glowforge app when this happens?

To take a screenshot:

• Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.

• Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.

Thank you kindly for the tip—- much appreciated. I had always thought the easiest way to describe a tech problem would be——-quick and to the point.

I’m super guilty of going too far in the opposite direction. Trying to break myself of the habit, because I’ve found that when I write too much, it’s clear that the person on the other end didn’t have time to read it all, because they’ll ask me questions I already answered on page 37.

4 Likes

I’ve resigned myself to pretending to be an average user when dealing with technical support (for any product now) and only provide the information they ask for as they’re usually working from a script and have no frame of reference that allows them to skip ahead when additional data is provided.

With GF there are some documented things they want with regards to photos or tests that can be provided with the initial report but when you go deeper into proactive troubleshooting it deviates from their scripts and they can’t necessarily deal with that up front.

It’s frustrating dealing with linear thinkers but we’re not getting the deep skilled engineers when dealing with customer support staff with most companies. Just have to grin and bear it and plod through until we get to the solution.

2 Likes

I extracted logs and it looks like you have not been able to print since posting. I want to get you back up and running. I would like to figure out the issue you are seeing.

Could you please do the following:

1. Go to https://www.whatismybrowser.com/
  2. Look for the header that says “Your web browser’s unique URL”
  3. Click the button that says “Copy URL to Clipboard”
  4. Reply to this, and paste in the link provided

If possible, could you please post a screenshot of what you see in the Glowforge app when this happens?

To take a screenshot:

• Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.

• Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.

1 Like

https://whatismybrowser.com/w/4KHHSX4

When you are in the Dashboard there are 2 options for printing. Create or reprint an old file.

On Monday, I was not able to reprint an old file. I tried using three different Apple products with Safari and Chrome to load an old file to the interface. The message rendering your design appeared numerous times. I tried to upload a couple of old files and neither one of them would load into the interface.

After much frustration I chose to go back to the dashboard and access the interface with the create option.

No problems at all. I successfully printed a project.

Today I again was not able to load an old file into the interface.

This is exactly what I did.

1. Went to settings in my iPad Pro and deleted all history and advanced website data. After deletion I checked and made sure everything was gone.

2. From settings I went directly to Safari and logged into Glowforge—- went to the Dashboard and tried to load previous printed file into the interface.

3. Entered interface and message rendering appears.

4. When the file would not load and I went directly back to Settings-Safari-advanced website data.

All of this website data has now appeared. What do all of these websites have to do with Glowforge? Why is Facebook and bing in my data— when I only went to Glowforge?

Thanks for providing that information. Regarding the partners listed, we use many partners to provide functionality for the services and software we operate for you. We run advertisements on Facebook and Bing, and they are notified when someone who sees one of their ads visits so they can bill us.

Our team hasn’t been able to reproduce this issue with any files we’ve tried, so I’d like to take a closer look to determine whether the issue is based in the handling of the file itself. The “Rendering your Design” message that you see is normal, but the fact that the app is stuck on that screen means that the file isn’t being fully processed. Usually this message will appear for a few seconds to a few minutes, depending on the complexity of the file.

Are you able to share the file that has this trouble when you upload it? If so, that would be very helpful for our investigation. You can upload it here, or send it to us at support@glowforge.com (reference this forum thread if you do, so we can find it quickly).

1 Like

It’s been a while since we’ve been in contact on this issue, so I just wanted to check in. Are you still running into trouble when using the Glowforge App?

1 Like

Everything is great except the iPad does not have the ability to copy,paste and delete without an external keyboard.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that everything else is working well now. I’ll ensure that your feedback regarding not being able to copy, paste or delete without an external keyboard connected to your iPad is passed along to our product team. Adding the ability to do so without a keyboard is a great idea for a feature, and I’ll let them know it came from one of our community members!

I’m going to close this thread now. If you run into trouble again, or have questions our team can help out with, please reach out!

1 Like