Is It Time To Clean My Fan?

I think the answer is obvious!

Lots of smoke, more than is usual and the noise - oh my! I read @Jules excellent write up! And you can bet I am looking forward to getting this thing cleaned up and purring like the laser kitty that it is!

I put this in problems and support but not sure it is totally correct. Feel free to move it to everything else if need be.

My question is, and I know it smacks in the face of all warranty stuff, but why isn’t it easy to just unscrew those 4 nuts, hang the fan over into the bed and clean it up quick with that fancy spray or water/vinegar then vacuum/clean the back vent honey comb and put the fan back? I won’t take anybody’s thoughts as clear supported advice to remove the fan, just curious to hear people’s opinions.

Also, there was a post about smoke and the GF folks arranged an appt to make the fan run remotely while the machine had the lid open. Is this something others have done? Curious if it worked and if anyone can just sign up for such an appt. It seems easier to get that fan running and spray that magic 3m stuff into it. Any insight is appreciated.

3 Likes

@rpegg pointed me at this yesterday.

Glowforge - the 3D laser printer

Props to him and GF. Might make things a little easier with the degreaser.

5 Likes

Apparently Support has provided a method to self-clean without scheduling the appointment. Must be done outside since the chemical may be toxic to your lungs.

2 Likes

What IF I do it with the exhaust hose hooked up and out the window as usual? I can really move my machine outside. No power or internet without a huge undertaking…

Yes, props to @rpegg! Thanks of the tip!

Haven’t done the procedure myself. We can’t post what you “might” be able to do in the P&S section if it goes counter to Support’s recommendations.

2 Likes

Obviously your fan will need significant manual cleaning with vacuum and brushes before you get to the degreaser stage.

1 Like

EEeeeep! :hushed:

2 Likes

EEeeeep is right! I was not totally surprised. The sheer amount of happenings on the forum practically tell the future of what will happen to a glow forge. Time to roll up the sleeves and get that elbow grease going.

1 Like

I though perhaps the magical degreaser would be more powerful, but I take from your comment that it is not a miracle worker. I’ve never used the stuff before, but we shall see!

I bought a can to have on hand in case it’s needed…I paid $38 for it at Amazon, I think I saw somehwere that it’s cheaper at Digikey.

But I don’t intend to use it unless it becomes necessary. (I don’t want to have to haul the thing outside unless there’s no other option. Manual removal techniques are fine for me.)

1 Like

It’s $25 at Digikey but I can’t find out what shipping is unless I actually buy it (their shopping cart claims I haven’t got a valid shipping address even though I’ve purchased from them before so now I’m supposed to call them to find out or pay for it & see what comes up). Amazon doesn’t make me dance to get it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The degreaser manufacturer recommends that you avoid breathing in dust, fume, gas, mist, vapors or spray and use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. We recommend cleaning outdoors because we can’t advise on whether or not a given indoor space is sufficiently well ventilated. However, you may be able to make that determination for yourself. You can find complete information on the product including the Safety Data Sheet here.

Thanks for the answer @jbmanning5 and link to the Fan Maintenance page, that’s right. Additionally, here is a link to help you vacuum the exhaust fan before doing following the steps on the Fan Maintenance page. I’m going to close this thread - if you have any other questions, go ahead and post a new topic.

2 Likes