Is my camera off?

@lowside, not being able to see all of the bed with the lid camera doesn’t impact how accurate placement is.

This is what my camera shot looks like…it has less visible in the shot than yours does:

The left side is completely invisible without scrolling the view. I have to hold down the space bar and drag to pan left and right.

My alignment is near perfect, but this is one of the test machines. After Dan’s last update, we know that has something to do with how well the metrics are set up for each machine, and that’s something they control on their end. Until they roll that out for everyone retroactively, we can expect to be off on placement by up to 1/4" for the time being.

There are some things that you can do to make sure you are getting the least distortion from your placement though…

Make sure the thickness of the material is correct. If the machine doesn’t read the QR code correctly (and sometimes it doesn’t because of warp or blur on the sticker, or because they stuck the sticker too far over on the sheet) then use the drop down in the upper left corner (Where it says Unknown on the image above) to populate the thickness in the Unknown Materials Thickness slot. They have a search bar in there that you can use to pick any Proofgrade material as well. Sometimes the codes don’t read correctly.

Try to place your image to be engraved under the lid camera if you can. There’s less fish-eye effect right under the camera. The distortion is going to get worse the further out away from the camera that you get.

And last…if it’s still an issue, or if you are getting more than 1/4" distortion, start a new thread in Problems and Support and tell them about your issue. They don’t see it when someone else comments on an existing thread, they only look for new posts in the Category.

:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I agree. Safari does work just fine, UNTIL you use any of the zoom functions…then it may as well say ‘can’t do this…use Chrome’.

1 Like

@Jules thanks for chiming in. Unless I’m missing something though, the issue isn’t that I can’t see the entire bed at one time, but that the limited area I showed in that screen shot is all I can see of the bed period. Even zooming out in the GFUI and scrolling as you suggested doesn’t show me anything but the grey area. This is definitely not the “off by 1/4” thing, it’s more like an inch or two and it happens regardless of where I position on the bed.

Maybe a better way of explaining things is this. Positioning my image based on the rulers on the side/top of the GFUI (ignoring the preview image) seems to result in a cut that’s approximately where I would expect it to be on the sheet of material. But if I position based on what the bed image shows me, the actual cut appears nowhere near where I wanted it to be. It’s almost like the relationship between the rulers in the GFUI and the bed preview image seems to be way off somehow.

Anyway, I do have a support ticket open for this issue, I’m just waiting to hear back on what to try next.

1 Like

Okay, didn’t realize it was off by that much…definitely a support issue. Hope they get back to you soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

I really appreciate all the suggestions. This is definitely a case where nothing would make me happier than to realize I’m doing something silly :smile:

So far support has been quite responsive, unfortunately the tweak they made last night didn’t seem to do the trick. Hoping that whatever they suggest next will fix it!

2 Likes

Did it start out that way or degrade?

Been this way from the moment I booted up the GFUI I’m afraid :frowning:

Crud.

@Dan, not to be argumentative, but just curious… Assuming that something did not get jostled out of place with this particular GF during shipping, if Flex is really extensively testing out each machines before it ships, then how could an issue with the camera not being able to see the full bed pass inspection?

Betcha this one got jostled. I know they’re testing the dickens out of the things…we’ve seen the screenshot on someone’s startup post recently, and I can’t remember where. :neutral_face:

Definitely possible, although the box looked to be in pretty good shape aside from most of the plastic handles going AWOL.

Just for anyone curious to see how much offset I’m talking about. My “target” was drawn as close to directly under the lid camera as I could manage.

Preview from GFUI:

Actual result from cutting:

P.S. Big thanks to @Jules for the thread w/ suggested settings for corrugated cardboard. It’s saved me a fortune in :proofgrade: while trying to debug this issue as best I can :smile:

3 Likes

Jostled was my first reaction, and a bad target aim might occur from that (seeing one side of the tray and off the edge, but not the other side of the tray. But for the @lowside issue, it seems like the camera has a smaller field of view, rather than just a bad aim.

Yep, that’s waaaay off. Hope they get you fixed up quickly.

Take this with a huge grain of salt, because optics isn’t my field, but i seem to recall someone saying that the lid camera is focused by rotation, and that turning it, it can throw off the focus.

While we were doing early PRU testing, we were told not to touch the lid camera because we could throw that off…it wasn’t glued at the time. Just screwed in. Maybe it got knocked loose in transit.

And you shouldn’t try to rotate it unless Support tells you to. But that might be something that got knocked loose, or wasn’t glued properly on that unit.

It’s all I can think of but it’s just speculation. Support is going to need to deal with it, they know what they’re doing and I’d hate to make the calibration worse or interfere with their long distance testing in any way.

Yes, that is what I have read, too… that it is glued in. If so, unless the jostling unseated the glue and caused the lens to turn in place, it should be in the same rotation point as when it was tested.

I’m thinking it might not have been glued and then got knocked while cleaning. They clean the units after they test them, so people don’t think they’re getting refurbished units. :wink:

That would make sense, and definitely match what I’m seeing so far. But definitely not going to go fooling with the camera until someone at support tells me to lol

1 Like

That’s very possible, and very likely. And that goes to the root of my question to @dan. Is Flex taking short-cuts in testing or in running through their assembly checklist? I would think that for such a sensitive issue as the lens, that there should be a QC check that it is properly glued in place. If not, maybe, now there will be.

If the lens adjustment is focus I would be surprised if it could affect the field of view so much. That would be zoom.

Looks more like the software is scalling it incorrectly.

1 Like

But isn’t everyone running pretty much the same software? If so, then everyone should have the same issue.