Is my lid camera misaligned?

Is it? I’ve a headache. Not reading… skimming. :wink:

But is any other scheme like fiducials going to happen any sooner. It would be odd for GF to work on unadvertised features before advertised ones unless finding a fiducial is much easier than finding an edge.

Ok, this explains things. I was wondering why your GF (Glowforge) would need armor. :rofl:

1 Like

oh for pete’s sake, y’all, i honestly couldn’t care less that it doesn’t have a repeatable (0,0) coordinate to use. it won’t affect my lasering at all; i was just thinking of perhaps a compromising solution.

1 Like

Whoa!! Thanks!!

1 Like

I believe it might be in this case since they’re already utilizing that approach for homing the head in the first place.

1 Like

True to a degree, but I think it would be an easier way of determining such a thing, especially if it was glowforge supported and had special abilities attached to such a device. Then it would definitely need something to differentiate from any other piece of L shaped scrap

Not to mention I’d much rather have some clearly readable fiducials than it trying to find edges on a piece that has been hit by the laser over and over again and probably damaged or stained

3 Likes

To me, proper alignment is absolutely promised functionality. Again:
8. Optical Alignment
The dual cameras align the laser head with the frame, with your design,and with your material. Glowforge realigns with every cut and engrave, adjusting timing and position, so every print comes out perfectly.

4 Likes

Indeed - we currently only realign the head when you power cycle the machine (or in certain other unusual situations). As a result, alignment can drift over the course of many prints if the machine isn’t occasionally rebooted. (In fact @Tony just pinged me about this). We are working hard to fix the problem to fulfill that.

8 Likes

Good to know. I leave my PRU on for days at a time sometimes - if I’m going to be able to do some design work while I’m not home I can load a design remotely and check the operations were split out correctly and get a sense of the execution time. then when I get home and do the build I don’t restart the machine before I start the job. i think i’ll start power cycling it before I start working on it at night.

2 Likes

Huh! That might be why I never saw the problem on this one - I tend to leave it off until I actually need to run a job.

(Didn’t even know some people were experiencing a problem with it.)

3 Likes

Yeah, after developing the habit of flipping off the lights behind the kids, I don’t leave anything running for extended periods.

4 Likes

My Father: Turn the lights off. What, do you think I have stock in the electric company!
Me: Well, it would probably be a good investment.
Dad: Boy, come over here while I take my belt off. . .

I turned things off every since. Turns out though my mom and dad did have stock in Union Electric (now Ameren). It seems to be paying the bills for mom’s care!

11 Likes

Haha, I love this story!

1 Like

Hahaha! :sunglasses:
Yep! Different generation. We lived in an apartment complex where all the kids would play out in a courtyard, with a few Moms riding heard. If you transgressed, you were just as likely to get whooped by any of them as your own Mom. Takes a village.

4 Likes

That is excellent!

I love it when I see the rest of my family switching off lights when they leave rooms. It’s something that’ll be passed down generation to generation. LOL

3 Likes

I’m working on automation one bulb start time via philips hue and sensors from my ecobee thermostat. Lights that turn themselves out.

2 Likes

I’m thinking it may be helpful to engrave tick marks on the edge of the material to help align pass through cuts. That and maybe a fence to slide the stock against.

1 Like

All of the light switches in our house are automated. (ZWave) Along with a few outlets, most of the thermostats, the furnace and the Fridge. We have a recording studio, and the mic will pick up the vibrations from them if we don’t shut them off. We have a scene set to turn them off for 45 minutes, they then turn back on.

We use a Vera Plus Home controller, no monthly fees, and it has an iPhone App with a decent enough interface. It even integrates a few security cameras.

It also has a plug in with the Amazon Echo, so we can do voice commands in the rooms we have Alexa.

5 Likes