Is the variable power linear?

Can’t say that I have ever seen the “hills” in any of my projects like you have here, but I also have not “stretched” a gradient out over as long of an area. My tests were basically about an inch long at the longest, others were 1/8" at the shortest, and using the whole power range. This effectively condenses the powerband into a smaller area and might make such “hill” defects unnoticeable.

What I have seen in my work is that as the power increases and the laser cuts deeper, it is not linear, but it is a very shallow acceleration curve. However, multiple passes also amplify the non-linear power curve. In other words, say you run two passes, the shallow end will get a little deeper but the deep end will get REALLY deep.

Clear acrylic is a good material to help illustrate because you can look into the cut edge of the material and see how the engraving changes depth.

7 Likes

Since this problem is being seen on materials that were purchased from another company, we can’t offer support for prints that don’t come out as expected. I’m going to move it to Beyond the Manual so other folks here can help. Should this happen with a print on Proofgrade materials, please open a new ticket in Problems and Support and we’ll help you right away!