Is there a glowforge shutdown procedure?

Is there a specific procedure to turn off the Glowforge when it’s not in use? I can’t seem to find anything. It seems odd to just reach around back to turn it off.

3 Likes

Yes, very, very important to do this in the right order.

1. stand on one leg
  2. spin counterclockwise two times while chanting “ugga-ugga-ugga”
  3. spin one time clockwise while placing your left hand on your head.
  4. stop spinning and quickly reach in back of the GF with your right hand and press the power switch
  5. shout “BOOM!” as you turn off the machine

(JUST KIDDING! Just push the button and it’s that easy :slight_smile: )

30 Likes

LOLOLOLOLOL.

I’m gonna do that from now on anyways.

15 Likes

That makes you amazingly awesome! Welcome to the forum cearka :smiley:

5 Likes

thx!

That’s the nice thing about embedded systems - you can normally just turn them off. It’s the fancy-shmancy electronics with their user interfaces you can actually understand that are so delicate they need to be shut down.

1 Like

Amazon, turn off glowforge. Done.

7 Likes

If it’s a well designed fancy shmancy electronic device, it should be able to weather the storm of being shutoff without warning.

The biggest problem is when the power is cut during a write operating to the storage.

GF mitigates most of this risk by using a read-only root filesystem. They do have write operations going to a persistent storage partition on the same device (log files), that can suffer filesystem corruption. This is usually easily repaired by the OS at boot time.

Some light reading, for those interested in a quick overview.

4 Likes

You forgot waving the dead chicken over it the whole time your doing the other steps.

3 Likes

Would you like me to add the station “Glowforge” to your Pandora account?

4 Likes

Damnit, now cearka’s machine is going to blow up! After that long 2yr wait too. What a shame :grimacing::chicken:

1 Like

Yeah, its a shame what they put us through. :scream:

1 Like

sigh… the second “ugga” should have been a “Bugga”. It’s totally in the manual.

5 Likes

No way! That’s probably why my my last project cut all weird as I must have missed the bugga part. :-/ I have also learned from experience that the louder you yell “boom” , the faster it calibrates when you turn it on next time. It has saved me soooo much time. Hubby gets a little pissed as I’m usually shutting down the GF about 2 am. Waking him up is totally worth it though.

8 Likes

So what you’re saying is, crashing some train sets like Gomez Addams will make it super zippy!

2 Likes

You need a smart outlet which you then name Glowforge. Then when you tell echo or google to turn off “glowforge” it powers off the device connected to it.

2 Likes

my wife caught me doing a funny dance and yelling strange words as I turned off the machine. then she just turned around and left the room because she didn’t want to ask.

11 Likes

Oh, epic fail. You’re never supposed to let anyone see you during the shutdown ritual.

9 Likes