Is there a workaround to using Glowforge when internet is intermittent?

Wrong person to ask that about. I come from the 3D printer world where time for prints are in the hours and sometimes DAYS. I couldn’t care less about a few seconds here and there.

Fair point. Yes, additive machines take a long time. My 3D printers certainly aren’t fast. However, it’s robot time. Setup time is YOUR time. Also, how many of them will eventually brick due to lack of internet connectivity? In addition, multiple helpers simply refuse to use the GlowForge at the studio due to the often long and usually unpredictable setup times. It’s a concoction of rebooting, opening the lid, checking the internet, etc.

Well I can’t comment on that. I’ve only had the GF give me issues one time. And a reboot of the router solved the issue. Aside from one evening where that happened I’ve never been unable to just turn the machine on, choose settings, and run the job.

1 Like

Base line is, since before the power supply even needed a redesign, @Dan has never hinted that this could be a thing. He never says no. Just “Hopperized” or similar. They’re vision is cloud driven. Nothing in the last 5 years has hinted otherwise.

Make your noise, argue with everyone, and in a week, possibly two, you’ll tire of throwing your point out there. Just like all the others.

I think it’d be neat to have local control. I have a 32 core machine with a 1080Ti that could probably chew through whatever conversion software there was. But it’s nice to never need to.

I would hope and suggest a higher quality WiFi chip and also Ethernet capability in the future rev though. 2.5gb is gaining adoption as 10gb is following just a bit behind. And no WiFi issues possible with a wire.

2 Likes

Waveforms. Pretty sure there’s a library out there that creates motion control waveforms from vector & image data that runs on a rpi :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Check out openglow. They’ve been trying to unhook the GF from the cloud dependency for something like 3 years now and Scott’s one smart dude. Maybe he just needs a little more help and you can tip the project over the edge to success. Lots of people here would appreciate the alternative to the tethered model we have now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not as smart as the OP, who could hack together a GUI interface using Visual Basic DLL .net in a couple of hours. Not sure why he hasn’t donated his skills to the cause, perhaps this is so trivially beneath him as not to be worthy.

1 Like

OpenGlow & Gcode parser

Not for the faint of heart.

It’s amazing how this topic cycles back up every year.

1 Like

Suggestion: don’t low-key insult your audience.

We have as a group put a great deal of thought and energy into this – you should know, you’ve been around long enough. It is hard realizing you aren’t the smartest person in the room, but you’re among some very intelligent people, I’d suggest that you treat us as such.

2 Likes

Maybe not. Although he joined in '17, he’s only read 157 posts over the course of 2 hours since then. Much if it issues with using the scan feature.

I said “should”.

It’s actually much more than just a cut path if you think about it. Speed and laser power modulation will quickly complicate things.

Well this thread has bin going on a bit…

Well there is that :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.