Is welded acrylic laser safe?

Hey, sorry if this was asked before. Im wondering if acrylic is laser safe after its been welded together? Im worried that after bonding with weld-on 4, the composition might change in a way to make it dangerous? Anyone have some insight?

The reason I ask is because I have tons of 2in x 15in strips of 1/8 acrylic scraps. I was thinking about welding it all together in two layers with a cris-cross pattern in order to make a large sheet of usable 1/4 material. Then i can cut that and use it for whatever projects.

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

1 Like

I wouldn’t hesitate to use it. The welding compound is a solvent that evaporates quickly, leaving behind the acrylic. It’s really like steel welding where you end up with basically the same material at the joint.

7 Likes

Not what you asked about, but unless you’re an expert using WeldOn it could end up looking like a real hot mess. If appearance doesn’t matter in the end result, go for it.

2 Likes

Ok awesome. Thats what i was hoping for @ben1 . Thanks!

@Xabbess Yea I kinda expect it haha. Im not too worried how it will look, as long as i can take some scrap and turn it into a usable sheet I would be hyped.

3 Likes

Weld on joints are really strong when done correctly with clean, well fit edges. If you flip mate your strips (assuming the edges are laser cut) and get good joins you won’t even need the cross cross pattern and could do a single layer.

4 Likes

Good idea, I will definitely try that first, I wasn’t considering “flip mating” them. Thanks! :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.