Issue after glass was engraved

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone knows what causes this when engraving glass. After it completed pieces of the engraved area flaked off. It resembles glazed icing from a Krispy Kreme Donut!

It engraved at 950/Full/340 (on a Pro) and everything went well until I examined it closer after it was finished. It is only in select places on the glass and it looks like an entire layer could just flake off in some parts. Not sure if I need to slow it down, speed it up, maybe less power? I was hoping someone might know what causes this so I don’t waste more material.

Thanks in advance

Sadly no - what did you use as a heat mask? It is possible it dried out in those areas?

Glass technically doesn’t “etch,” so when the laser hits it, super-heated micro-sections of the glass rupture, like a tiny explosion in the surface of the glass. Lower quality glass actually engraves easier due to more impurities. It is possible that it is simply part of that process causing the flaking. It’s been a while since I did any glass, but when I did, I didn’t save my settings, so I must have used one of my other settings on it, probably a fairly low speed, like 300ish, and full power.
Your image makes me think the glass is textured. That might also have something to do with it. I’ve not done textured glass.

Somewhere in this forum is another thread where I posted a link to an article that discusses etching glass with a laser. If I can find it, I’ll link it here.

UPDATE: In my search for that other post I mentioned (sorry, I never did find it) I did find a few other people who have done glass with speeds as high as 700, still full power. I would recommend searching this forum, Beyond the Manual, for more info.

4 Likes

that’s the nature of glass, thermal shock causes micro-fractures. You could use the laser to cut a mask and use a glass etching compound for a sandblasted look.

1 Like

It will happen regardless of speeds and powers.

This is exactly what’s happening. Its creating microscopic chips/flakes/dust what ever you wish to call it. I had a piece I did and then for testing purposes of going deeper ran a second pass. The second pass created large sheets of that dust flake. So if you get a section like pictured above that is different from the rest its because something has already rubbed that dust off the surface. If you want to even it back out you can use a toothbrush and elbow grease and it looks fine. It will be lighter though unless it was a second pass. The fragment dust gives it a vibrant etched look but it’s much fainter when you wipe it away.

Update: This is what happened on my second pass, where it lifted the first pass in sheets.

2 Likes

I have been able to reduce this by covering the glass with masking tape. I find lowering the power and doing 2 passes can have nice results. i think i do 1000zooms/80pews/450 LPI/convert to dots/and pattern density at 0-100 do 1 or 2 passes, the second one makes the frost a bit whiter.

2 Likes

It is textured on one side. It is a glass cutting board. I etched a reversed image on the underside/smooth side of the board and when flipped over it reads through the top side.

I’m going to find another one and slow it down after adding a masking to see if it helps.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

I didn’t use a mask on this one. Just went with settings I have used on shot glasses before. I’ll try some tape and see if it helps.

Thank you.

Thanks for your help. Since it’s a cutting board (technically not going to be used on the etched side) I don’t want glass flakes or dust falling off and possibly hurting someone if it got mixed with food somehow. Want to make sure I can keep it from happening after giving them as gifts or selling them.

Thanks for your insight.

Even on the back I would definitely follow the advice of @PrintToLaser and many others that have mentioned it in other posts, and create a mask/template and use an etching cream. The creams can be permanent, food safe, and washable.

1 Like