Issue noticed on first clean

Today I did my first clean on my Glowforge. I have had it for a month. When cleaning the lens on the inside left has scratches. I have only been using the machine lightly and all other lenses are fine.

I’ve tried to include a picture but not sure how good it will be? Is it still safe to use the laser? If I need a new lens will it be covered by the warranty?

Thank you,

Beth

Try soaking a soft cloth with alcohol and holding it on the window for a minute, then see if the “scratches” will wipe off. It looks to me more like burned-on residue from not being cleaned.

The left-side window is my “gauge” for when I need to clean the other windows/lenses, because it’s in the path of the smoke as it leaves the machine. Any residue that isn’t cleaned off will harden over time as the laser passes through it, so it gets tougher to clean. Eventually it will begin to burn into the window and damage it, so it’s important to keep it cleaned off. Your machine will also work better, since residue defocuses the laser beam and it won’t cut as well. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I tried a Zeiss wipe but will try a microfiber cloth and alcohol.

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Using a microfiber cloth and vinegar got whatever it was off the lens! Thank you so much!!!

5 Likes

This^^. #1 rule for maintaining your laser - Keep your optics clean.

5 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! Thank you @geek2nurse for your advice. I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

Please see the following page for more help with cleaning your Glowforge. Cleaning – Glowforge

2 Likes