Issues centering on products

Hi everyone,
I’m fairly new, only having my glowforge 2 or 3 weeks. When I try to engrave on a flask or cutting board it never comes out centered even though I place my text or image by what I’m being shown on the camera. I’ve ruined A LOT of items. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Can someone give me some advice? I thought Maybe the flask was moving so I taped it down and it still came off WAY out of wack and I watched it and it didn’t move. Any help would be so much appreciated.

First thing you need is to run the calibration routine. Then you need to run the Set Focus before you try and set the location.

if you are doing many of the same things you will want to make a jig that you can position very accurately (I use 4" tiles up against the edge, making a very accurate location for your jig.) then when you try your design just use set focus and do part of it on an already ruined piece and move and retry that bit of design the proper amount (if the design is a quarter-inch to the right move it a quarter-inch to the left) use the precision locater on the lower left to read and write down the numbers.

After that, if you use the jig precisely placed and the same numbers in the precision location pop-up then it will print in the correct place no matter if the image in your screen is a bit off.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I’m going to try this today. I appreciate you answering me so quickly.

1 Like

It is so frustrating to waste materials and time so I am glad you reached out for help. Here is the link to the Glowforge support page regarding alignment issues. If performing the lid camera calibration and utilizing the measurement/placement tool still doesn’t get you the results you want, search the forum for tutorials on making a jig for your products.

3 Likes

Thank you so much to everyone - I’m going to try today, as yesterday I got tied up with some family issues! Wish me luck ~ fingers crossed!

I see that the community has provided some good advice on the next best steps. I’ll keep this thread open a little longer, and see if any of those steps helped. Let us know how it goes!

1 Like

Hello - just wanted to let you know that the calibration worked! Thanks so much!!

2 Likes

Hello @ivy.payne04, That is great news! Thank you for letting us know.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out again should you need anything. We’re happy to help!