It ain't no Fossil

Trilobite is probably the most famous though perhaps thousands of species.

1 Like

That’s where I thought this post was going, now I really want to make a fossil fish on a rock and throw it in the lake. :slight_smile:

This is a really neat detailed project! I appreciate all the intricacies.

3 Likes

I engraved some fossil images on small pieces of rough sized slate that my brother had found…looked pretty darned cool. The photos are somewhere here on the forum.

1 Like

Hawaii is probably the the one State bereft of fossils. Having paving slates with fish and trilobites walking up to the door would freak folk out enough. You could even tell folk that you fossilized the slate.

3 Likes

Slate sounds awesome, I will search.

@rbtdanforth I could set them into the grass, we are more city. @raymondking32 could get away with it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just found it…

That is pretty sweet!

3 Likes

That looks fabulous! Isn’t it incredibly satisfying to make your own purse?! Love that front pocket detail.

2 Likes

Beautiful. All dressed up and no where to go.

4 Likes

Ha ha…I know…I was just thinking of that myself today. Bah…humbug! :unamused: :grin:

2 Likes

Holy smokes, that stitching! Do you have any fingers left?

It’s a gorgeous purse, chock full of designer details and a real collector’s item. You should be proud!

5 Likes

The stitching - Wow, you really wanted the perfect purse.

Trilobites make a decent coaster in travertine.

9 Likes

Wow, that really turned out great! So much stitching - my fingers hurt just looking at it! (but totally worth it - looks fantastic)
I really like the fabric you used for the liner too.

4 Likes

Great write up. Wish I was brave enough to try leather. The bag is awesome and turned out fantastic.

4 Likes

I was thinking about this as I was busily stitching away. I remember @geek2nurse making a comment about this when she was stitching her plague doctor mask together (I think that was it) that her fingers ended up feeling like claws. I had no problems at all, so I think that might be because I measured the actual size of the needle to make the hole sizes…and if your holes aren’t too small, they won’t make stitching so difficult.

2 Likes

wow that is amazing.

I have been trying to get my daughters to wrap their heads around what they could do with Beamer. This might be just the trick!

4 Likes

It wasn’t the needles so much as holding the leather pieces together while I stitched flat pieces into curved shapes. It made my hands all crampy after a while!

4 Likes

Ah…OK. I understand…I get it. I had some of that to deal with as well…the body of this bag is curved along the bottom…the gussets are not. Even though a stitching pony was a big help, I did indeed become a contortionist trying to sew those parts together…and it was the most difficult part of the entire assembly.

2 Likes

Exceptional! So happy for you to complete such an awesome project! It looks awesome!!!

2 Likes

It’s beautiful! So many intricate little details :heart:

If you have a sewing machine - keep in mind that (with some testing) you can set the length of your stitch to match the holes and use the machine to sew the large seams - you’ll still have to hand stitch to get the tight corners and the like but it can save you a bunch of time. With an all metal machine you can do it straight through the leather, but it’s tough on the workings!

2 Likes