It all started when it said "Offline"

Haven’t used my GF in a few months. But I wanted to start making things again and I had a few designs in the works. So I fired up the GF, then the app, oh no, the app says the GF is offline. UGH not again…

Okay so I let it sit for awhile to make sure all the updates are coming in. Nothing…Then I power cycle it, like 100 times and unplugged it from the wall. No luck…

So I try switching it to another wifi network, no luck, maybe the same wifi it was on? nope. So I created a new wifi network that was open with no password, bingo, well kind of. I was able to print something. But this was not the network I want to be on because it was unsecured. So I went through the setup again and again and again. Still unable to connect to the any other network besides one that was less secure. Anything with a password longer that 10 characters seem to fail setup.

At this point I have a $4000 paper weight. Trying to figure out what is wrong with this thing without any visual or way to plug into is really difficult. When it doesn’t connect to the cloud, how is support going to know what is wrong?

Before anyone asks, I am broadcasting on 2.4 and 5 ghz on all my access points and I have rebooted every device on my network, which I heard some grumbling from the family when I did so.

I have held the button down for 15 secs till it was green/teal and the GF network shows up and I can start the setup process but either errors out or just sits there forever. Any help would be great at this point.

1 Like

That has got to be frustrating. Not having specific error messages and the ability to do some troubleshooting is tough. One of the downsides of the cloud operation. If something is not connecting and the only way you can access the Glowforge is through the internet connection, then what to do?

One can look at the logs and get some info, but it really isn’t the same as logging into the local machine and reading a log that has some clear error messages.

This blind trouble shooting is a big bottleneck for many users. I know that Glowforge makes it right if there is a problem machine, but getting to that point is a bit challenging.

I agree and working in IT and not being able to dig into something is more frustrating. I am sure to plugging into something find the issue and fix it. Here, I have spent two days last week on it and 3 hrs today and still in the same spot. They just need to put an ethernet point on this thing and call it a day. The amount of money they have spent on support of wifi issues has to, by now, out weighed the cost of including an ethernet port.

1 Like

I’ve had this happen to me a few times–totally sympathize with your frustration.

Ensuring your device is just on 2.4 helps (despite Xfinity claiming devices can decide the band to use, set it up specifically for separate network by band width–I have most other devices on my 5, and only the GF on 2.4 network).

Also changing channels might help–did work for me once.
One episode I ran “traces” and saw the signal crap out about the 11th of 21 bounces… and sometimes just starting to type a ticket my machine went back on-line… Suspect at times it depends what all my neighbors are doing that affects the signal integrity once leaves the house… (very technical jargon :wink:).

For a while I know my entire network would suck after 5pm–when folks get home and start streaming on their networks…

2 Likes

I’ve change some settings with my wifi and created a new password protected wifi with default settings and will test this out later this evening once everything finish provisioning.

I’ve had the “device error” show up when dual-broadcasting 2.4ghz and 5ghz under the same SSID. I can’t think of why that would impact it, but it sure seems to do so.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about the issue with your Glowforge being unable to connect to the network you had it set up on previously. I’d like to take a look at the information captured by the connection logs on your Glowforge. Could you please do the following to extract those logs for me?

1. Reboot your Glowforge wait about 30 seconds
  2. Hold down the button on your Glowforge for ten seconds, until it glows with a teal color
  3. Your Glowforge is now broadcasting a temporary Wi-Fi access point. Connect your computer to “Glowforge DRT-288” (from your Wi-Fi Settings)
  4. Visit the following URL in your browser: http://192.168.192.1:3000/logs/zip
  5. A .zip file should download to your computer
  6. Reconnect to your usual Wi-Fi network and email the .zip file to support@glowforge.com

Please let me know if you run into any difficulty with these steps. Thanks!

Is this a new thing? I’ve been having the exact same issue for the past week. I can connect to my iPhone’s hotspot, but not my home network.

Wonder if it’s the 2.4/5 on the same network issue…please post any other info you find out. I feel your frustration…the generic error messages are really getting old.

Mine lost its connection right before I was supposed to demo my machine for a company last week. Not a great first impression of the machine, that’s for sure. :roll_eyes:

It looks like you already emailed us about this. I just followed up there with some next steps, so I’m going to close this thread now.

@mspricethelibrarian, we try to keep topics in the Problems and Support section to one issue per thread. If you’re still running into trouble could you please start a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com? We’ll be happy to help.

Thank you!