It happened!

Such a good idea! We will have to do that. I will report the cosmetic issues - Didn’t want to spam support

@dan controls the spice!

8 Likes

For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!

(Like we need another @dan nickname.)

6 Likes

Looks like some 3D printed rubber slip on covers are in order. Any chance of the dimensions?

2 Likes

Looks like a pretty common spring clamp.

http://www.deflecto.com/products/pc/catalog/techsheets/airdistribution/MSC4100tps.pdf

2 Likes

Thanks. So 1/8" diameter and about 7/8" long. measured off the screen with my new plastic calipers.

4 Likes

I’m sure these spring clamps were sent instead of screw clamps because people go nuts on torquing the screw clamps. You can easily pull hundreds if not thousands of pounds of clamping pressure, it’s just not needed and can damage materials (and thus becomes a liability to GF if they supply the part).

I picked up screw clamps when I got the other vent hardware to prep for arrival.

3 Likes

I can understand how the spring clamps will prevent some accidental damage with the screw clamps but boy to the suck to put on especially because I couldn’t stand behind my Glowforge. I had to basically lay on top of the GF to get everything together.

An unapproved installation procedure?

3 Likes

I had that kind of clamp on the hose. I’m a bit fat handed, so it took a couple tries, but basically just gotta squeeze it to fit it on.

1 Like

I didn’t see anywhere in the manual to NOT lay on it :wink:

9 Likes

If it is cold and you are alone, sleeping on your Glowforge while it’s running will help keep you warm and cozy. Fact.

4 Likes

Yeah the clamps are terrible. Even fully squeezed (which is reeeeally hard on the fingers), I couldn’t manage to get the hose through. I need another hand or something. I’ll be heading to the hardware store to get a screw clamp.

1 Like

I first saw the spring clamps at BAMF. I was fumbling with them. My carpenter brother popped them on with no effort. We disconnected the vent hose in the evenings so he took care of re-installation after that!

I do like the worm gear though.

1 Like

someone needs to cross one of those with a screw clamp. the screw can open the clamp but only close it to a maximum that isn’t too extreme?

It’s already out there. :slight_smile: Looks like the spring clamp but has a screw that opens it instead of tightening, then it only closes down with the natural tension of the spring.

1 Like

What someone needs to really do is toss together a 3D thingiverse design of some finger-pads you can slip onto those wire ears so you can pinch them without screaming in pain…

2 Likes

Or people can grab a pair of pliers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hope this helps - picture’s just off my phone, but the calipers reads 3.7".

4 Likes

What is the diameter of the wire it’s made with?

1 Like