I've graduated once again!

I’m certainly what you would call a “lurker”. In fact, I’ve lurked about the forums since ordering my glowforge back in September of 15’! Anyway, a tip on fonts used in Illustrator, especially cursive font, is after creating the outlines, using the Pathfinder tool to merge the letters. I point this out because of the dead space in “queso”. This is something I learned while cutting letters on my vinyl cutter the hard way, of course :sweat_smile:. In any case, wonderful work from you, and everybody else too while I’m speaking up! Back into the shadows I go…:bust_in_silhouette:

14 Likes

Noooooo, don’t go back into the shadows! We want you here! Very useful tip, and one I forgot recently when I etched some letters–boy do those non etched overlap bits stand out!

6 Likes

Don’t go back into the shadows too far…we’d all like to hear more from you! Thanks for that info. I sort of wondered about that dead space. I don’t use AI…I use Affinity Design for Mac. But, I will keep your tip in mind and perhaps I can translate using the pathfinder tool into some kind of Affinity tool. There are usually similar kinds of tools.

4 Likes

Indeed… The buttons circled below represent the same basic functionality as the AI Pathfinder tools. One oddity with AD – after performing the merge, diff, etc., it removes all strokes and fills from the resultant object(s). You have to select them and apply a stroke or fill for them to show up at all.

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

Come to the Darkside…“WE’VE GOT COOKIES”…

4 Likes

Come back to the light… Just think of this link the colorful Indian festivals that throw the bright colored dust around.

Everybody gets covered and laughs.:rofl:

1 Like

Absolutely, it helps! The Boolean ops! You’re always one step ahead of me on this stuff in Affinity. I’ve used these ops, but I don’t think ever on text. After our family thing in the next week, I will have more time to continue my “learnin’”. Thank you!

Alright, alright. I’ll do my best to be more outspoken :grin: My apologies on the assumption of AI, but glad to see there is a similar function in AD. Thanks for such a warm welcome haha

7 Likes