Job cut into the crumbtray!

Not really sure what happened here. Opened the lid as soon as I noticed what had happened. Whole job was shifted “down” (towards the operator) from what was set in the UI. The only thing I can imagine is that it jumped the track somehow on the belts, but it cut fine before this. Rebooted the GF and it’s fine now, but was shocked that this happened. Pretty sure crumb tray is on the list of stuff we’re not supposed to cut.

Anyone else ever see this? And yes, the tray was in the dimples and even with dimple wedges holding it tight. Thoughts or things I should check?

I had done a full clean yesterday and dumped the indoor filter for an external vent and inline fan. Probably did 10 jobs no problem after the cleaning…

1 Like

Usually that happens when the head gets knocked - which can be junk in the rails, but can also be your shirt sleeve hooking it, or the air assist scoop hitting a pin. I wouldn’t worry about it, unless it happens again - but I’d turn it off, and run the head back and forth and front to back and make sure you don’t feel a hitch anywhere, and if not, set up the job and then do the same to see if there’s a pin getting hit - and then just watch that first one like a hawk and make sure it doesn’t happen again.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, when you send the machine back to the mothership you don’t also send the crumb tray. So mine still shows the stupid newbie mistake I made the first week I had my machine :sob:

The plastic that I thought was metal will take a lot more abuse than that without doing more than reminding you to be careful :cry:

3 Likes

Wow, no, never saw that. The laser sets its operational parameters during the calibration. The calibration was lost somehow. Bumped? Snagged?

I’m so sorry to see that the print cut the crumb tray.

Often, when we see an offset this large, it occurs because the head was physically moved or accidentally bumped, which affects the current calibration. I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the print you reported trouble with, and it looks like the printer head did not start from the “home” position. The head may have been inadvertently moved or bumped while preparing a print.

Could you please try the following steps:

1. Turn your Glowforge off, and wait about five seconds
  2. Turn your Glowforge back on
  3. Wait until all motion has stopped for 30 seconds
  4. Try your print again

@bapestar It has been a few days I wanted to check in with you to see if you’re still running into any trouble with printing on the crumb tray. Feel free to let us know any update, and we’ll be here to help you until everything is resolved. Thanks!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.