Just announced — SketchUp in your browser!

Trimble (the folks that own SketchUp) just announced a new in-browser version of SketchUp. Currently a free beta, follow this link to give it a try:

http://www.sketchup.com/products/my-sketchup

More info is available at http://help.sketchup.com/en/mysketchup

29 Likes

THIS!!! This is what I’ve been wanting for quite a while. I can’t download anything at work, so this is the perfect way for me to model things that are in my head before I forget them.

Maybe I’m missing something, but I kind of wish there was an actual login, and my designs are saved to a cloud, so when I go here from home, work, or friend’s house, I can have all of my designs with me.

5 Likes

Oh man!! This is even cooler than the free SketchUp socks I got at their AIA Expo booth one year (though only by a little bit).

I agree that a cloud-based saving system would be super awesome.

5 Likes

Couldn’t resist — updated my post with a quick & dirty model. Table and Glowforge objects from the 3D Warehouse. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Thank-friggin’-goodness. Once more stuff goes to cloud-based software, I, as a Linux user, won’t be quite so left out. Got this running on my computer, but with issues. This will certainly take care of them.

5 Likes

Socks have certainly been a thing with the SketchUp team, dating back to the @Last (pre-Google/Trimble) days. I have a pair of the original “It doesn’t stink!” promo socks and their community director gifted me a pair of the new ones at a local meetup. :sunglasses:

They’ve always been very supportive of the education and maker communities, so hopefully they will make this available under their maker license for non-commercial use.

4 Likes

Those sound awesome!! I’m all about a good pun. Mine became my lucky ‘last night before final pin-up’ socks during school- served me very well!

2 Likes

Guys, there is also web based CAD Tinkercad from Autodesk. It should be compatible with other Autodesk free tools like 123D Make for preparing 2D cuts from 3D models.

I like SketchUp for many things, but it’s not very usable for direct manufacturing. Complex 3D models from SketchUp has manifold issues and needs fixing in another applications. I would avoid it for designing something which should be cut by Glowforge.

5 Likes

Absolutely – there have been discussions of all these tools (and many more). SketchUp isn’t going to be for everybody, but there has been a lot of interest in it, so I shared the announcement.

2 Likes

There you go trying to be all helpful and stuff. Geez, the nerve of this community trying to be friendly and all that just irks me the wrong way!!

:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Well… Folks keep telling me what’s paved with good intentions, but I just ignore them. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks! My brother texted me with the same information. I haven’t looked at it yet; but I think its a great move. I wish I had some Sketchup socks. I’d kind of like to get some Glowforge socks, too. That’s one thing I don’t think will laser all that well…