Just Got My GF

I just got my GF and couldn’t wait to start. I’m totally new to Inkscape and have a bunch of learning to do. I wanted to make a birthday gift for my niece, so I tried a cutting board and used the same design on a tag that I intend to hang on a bottle of wine. My circle is not totally lined up, but I’m not unhappy with the results considering they were my first cuts on my own.

24 Likes

Not lined up in what way? At first glance, it looks pretty well aligned?

2 Likes

The words aren’t completely lined up between the two score lines. If you look at the “before us”-it’s almost touching the line but in the other side “between us” is perfectly centered between the lines. I just should have shifted the words a bit I think.

3 Likes

Oh yeah I see that. When using the text along path feature of Inkscape, sometimes its necessary to tweak the settings to get the correct amount of relief.

Also if you aren’t too familiar with the role of the shift modifier when resizing, it keeps whatever you’re scaling centered on its rotation point. So you can always snap your wording’s rotation point to the center of a circle and scale it. That’s fraught though, you’re usually better off aligning the text carefully with the correct path or offset and then deleting or ignoring the path that you don’t need.

5 Likes

And yeah you’re right, I think you shifted it all down and to the left slightly. Alignment tools can fix that too.

3 Likes

Very nice job for your first project on your Glowforge.

4 Likes

Thanks-good info! So much to learn. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Ah… just lay the cheese slices over that part, nobody will notice!!

8 Likes

You may want to try the free program cadworx it is great along with tinkercad.com

They are fun and useful programs.

Deb

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check them out.

2 Likes

Nice work! Welcome to the playground!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I like what you’ve done…and look forward to seeing more things that you make.

2 Likes

A new creative world just opened for you!
This community is the best accessory to your new toy/tool. Thanks for joining us :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Welcome and congrats on your lovely first project(s)!

3 Likes

Excellent first projects! You are gonna have so much fun.

3 Likes

Congratulations and welcome to our addiction. Although far more boring than making your new stuff you might want to run the calibration.

You look like you are getting a good start in Inkscape and even without creating anything to cut you might just want to play and try all the tools in inkscape just to see what they do. As with many I was not able to get my Pro for a number of months after ordering it and though I had never used Inkscape before it helped calm my anticipation to learn it while I was waiting.

3 Likes

You are off to a great start.

2 Likes

You’re right-I need to do that. I was so excited to start playing I didn’t think about it!

Welcome. Your friends and family are going to be getting some great gifts.

2 Likes