Just picked up my new Glowforge cart tonight

Nice. And it looks as if shelving.com has a slightly better range than globalindustrial.com, which has been my site for getting that stuff for about 20 years…

they also tend to show up on craigslist and nextdoor fairly regularly.

That is a really kewl idea ! What spacers are those? They look like the small IKEA legs, but do they atttach on both ends? (Or are they some other sort of hardware?)

2 Likes

I used two different sizes of these:

The longer $14 ones on the bottom level. The hole patterns don’t match so I lined up the leg right to the edge of the top and drilled some pilot holes. They attached just fine with the included hardware.

I was worried they might slide so I put a ball of Fun Tack under each foot. It was only about a quarter the size of a pea. When I later moved things around I had to used some force to pull them apart. Some of the feet pulled off (they are just press fit).

It turned out that my 22 x 32 inch prints were about a half inch too wide so I added some larger shelves for them. This gave me a nice printer table as well. I the repurposed the smaller shelves (and added more) for my 3D printer.

Adding the pipe fittings for the printer filament I discovered that only the edges of the tables are solid. The center is a honey comb but I didn’t need it to be structural, just enough support to keep the pipe from tipping over.

14 Likes

Now look what you did…

I’ve now decided to build another IKEA “tower” but this time using 15" legs. It will be the shelving for my home audio, camera DVR, and routers. Much cheaper than a rack system.

I might also add another variation in the same room for a Glowforge stand. The room already has a one of those Sam’s Club shelving units mentioned in another thread. It seems I can never have enough shelving. :wink:

3 Likes

Speaking of shelving, I have a micro rant that needs to get out.

Arrg! Neither home depot or harbor freight sell the pallet racking that they use to display products in their stores.

ok. /rant.

3 Likes

I thought Home Depot used to sell it? I know that Lowe’s does, I was eyeballing it when I was there the other night getting the cart above.

Oh, I would not be surprised if they were able to custom order pallet racking for you, and maybe advise on where you can have full-size upright supports cut down to use at workstation/display height like they use in store, but when I walked in and asked at HD if they sold anything like what they use, they said told me no. Same thing happened at HF when I asked about their blue wire-based display rack/table things.
Similar to trying to buy the heavy-duty flap-top containers that so many stores use for inventory products. They will sell you light duty and medium -duty ones, but can’t seem to tell you a source for the really beefy ones that use (based on my experience at HD and at Ace Hardware)

@mpipes you have a plasma cutter though. You have worlds of metal deconstruction open to you that are closed to me.

1 Like

I have a welder too, so I can put the metal back together. :slight_smile: Unfortunately the plasma cutter and welder I have are 110volt units and don’t work well for heavier materials, but I originally bought them for doing metal bodywork automotive projects so I didnt need more capability.

Home Depot has the pallet racks on their website for ordering. Lowe’s in my town had probably 10-15 pallet racks on the shelf ready for sale, and I’m in the middle of the desert where stores tend not to inventory hard to move items, but if you dont have a Lowe’s in your area that doesnt help you much.

2 Likes

Yeah… that is not the product they use in store!

There are plenty of places to go to order pallet racking and wait for it to be delivered. What I really wanted on one particular day was a set of the three-foot high posts that they use in the front “non-warehouse display area” to make a super burly 10’x10’x3’ table to be used the same day.

We have the exact same printer.