Just received my golden ticket for my Pro

I had hopes of having the GF for Thanksgiving so I could have a long weekend to play with it. My hopes are steadily fading. I have the space and material just waiting to go. Come on @Dan please help me out here. :innocent:

Well I am approaching mid week 5 and still no shipping notification of my Pro unit. I realize there were delays due to Thanksgiving however it seems like it is getting really close to the 6 week mark which seems out of the norm. I am also in Florida so I expect the shipping to be extended as well. Nothing to do but sit and wait I suppose.

Couple days from week 5 myself. Hopefully we hear something soon!

Earlier today I posted in half jest that we should have a forum thread for reverse engineering shipping patterns, and in true forum (sorry, bad pun) you guys already had it made for a while… so cool.

1 Like

Today I received an email from UPS with my Glowforge tracking number! It is just before 4:30 in the morning and I am getting ready for work and I exclaimed, “Holy +BEEP*” loud enough to wake up my wife thinking something was wrong. I started to explain when she said, “Oh my got, your laser? Really?” I guess I have been talking about it a lot. In any case, I have an expected delivery date of December 6th. Looks like I will be getting it right at the 6 week mark. At least I am not forced to choose between seeing Star Wars and unpacking my GF. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Delivery will be on December 6th here in North Tampa, FL. I set the delivery for the earliest time possible. I am hoping for all handles and no damage but let’s see how it goes. Already have Friday off from work so I can have a long weekend to play.

1 Like

remember to get it held at the depot. I picked mine up 9AM. :slight_smile:

Well my workshop is ready. I cleaned it up over the weekend and finished the ventilation system. It’s still somewhat messy but a lot better now.

IMG_0057IMG_0047IMG_0054IMG_0056IMG_0055IMG_0058

16 Likes

Hey, got mine yesterday in Sarasota. Maybe it was FL orders that were closer to that 6 week line. My 6 week date would have been today.

Oh, since you’re in the exact same climate as I am- it seems like the thing doesn’t want to move or print if the temperature is >81 or humidity >80%. It’s almost always one of those two, so if you have A/C in your shop, I’d suggest turning it down a bit so you don’t experience weird delays. I can’t rule out other causes of the delays I had yesterday, but I’m willing to be superstitious about A/C in order to print all day.

For a Basic that would be out of specified operating temperatures - it will experience pauses and stops as a result of the temperature. Not sure the humidity has a big impact - I’ve experienced the temperature problems even with 40% relative humidity levels.

A Pro has a bit more leeway in terms of the temps it will operate without pausing. I can’t find the official spec on this but I think 81 is close to the limit. Lots of issues with temperature management and the concept of 75dF (Basic) being acceptable in most parts of the world this summer when the PRUs first started shutting down due to over-temps.

Thanks. My shop does have A/C but I will be monitoring the swing in temp and humidity more. When I know a project will produce a lot of dust, I try to take it outside via the garage doors but as you know, in Florida, it rains. I think I will get some easy cutting in the winter but you are right that in the summer I need to watch the temp and humidity.

So does that CNC system on the chains work very well? I watched the presentations on youtube, but was HIGHLY skeptical that it’d end of being practical?

I am actually making some rails for it so that the router will move on X-Y rails for stability but the chains are really accurate. I redesigned the frame so I can have it on wheels and move it around the shop as needed. Once I get the rails built and the router on its new sled it will be able to cut deeper and faster because it currently lifts out of the cut if it gets too much pressure on it. A really neat system but I wanted to tweak it a bit.

Would the rails take the place of the chains? I thought their math used to create the system had the chains built into the equation.

I would use the rails for stability but keep the chains.

The Eagle has landed! I am officially unboxed and running now. The box is missing 2 handles and there was a puncture hole in the box and into the corresponding plastic bag covering the GF but there doesn’t appear to have any damage. I did learn quickly to close the windows when venting because it just comes back in the shop if you don’s. :smiley:
IMG_0061IMG_0068

12 Likes

Congrats! :grinning:

1 Like

Super nice table for your Glowforge. :grinning:

1 Like

I found this on thingiverse and decided to give it a try. Really turned out nice as I was able to flip the wing panels and etch the other side.

13 Likes