Kerf-Canceling Mechanisms

This is potentially useful:

Kerf-canceling mechanisms replace laser-cut bearings, sliders, gear pairs, etc. Unlike their traditional counterparts, however, they keep working when manufactured on a different laser cutter and/or with different kerf. Kerf-canceling mechanisms achieve this by adding an additional wedge element per mechanism. We have created a software tool Kerf-Canceler that locates traditional mechanisms in cutting plans and replaces them with their kerf-canceling counterparts.

Most of the links to the full paper are broken but, I eventually tracked it down here (PDF).

There was also a paper on a press-fit mechanism (PDF) in their paper from last year:

12 Likes

This hurts my brain.

7 Likes

Very interesting!

…but I just design mine for the :glowforge:, but I guess that could change if I start selling designs? Then this could be handy information to have.

Thanks for expanding my knowledge on this matter either way!

4 Likes

Intriguing! Downloaded those to review some day. :smile:

1 Like

I didn’t understand at all from the first video but the paper makes perfect sense to me and yes it might come in very handy at some point. Thanks

2 Likes

Friggin awesome, but it hurt my brain. The printed info was a big help though. This was my range of motion trying to understand the engineering of it.

:confounded: :crazy_face: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :woozy_face: :frowning_face: :astonished: :flushed: :pleading_face: :tired_face: :expressionless: :neutral_face: :smirk: :grinning: :hugs: :grin:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.