Kids Lockable Coin Banks

A few coin banks I made for my kids. They seem to have their money go “missing” a lot so I am the only one with the keys. If they want to get money out they have to come to me.
This is made mostly with scraps I had around some scrap plexy, 1/8" utility board and the middle part is 3 layers of 3/4 common board from Home Depot that is planed down to .5 inches. These are 3 different iterations as i improved the design each time.

41 Likes

9 Likes

26 Likes

These are so cool! Love the name Grayson!
Thanks for sharing!

Great construction method !
:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Cool idea! (Might have to make one of those for hubs - he does tend to run through it!) :smile:

2 Likes

How does the lock part work?

11 Likes

Just some cheap hardware from amazon

13 Likes

I don’t know…if your kids inherited your maker genes you’d better hide the screwdrivers. :wink:

6 Likes

great idea but locks only keep honest people out.

2 Likes

They did… And thus the hardware and screws are epoxied in place. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Turn off the Internet. There are hundreds of videos on how to pick that lock :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Screwdriver? You have a glowforge, your kids can cut right into that bank!

1 Like

So did you forge through .5 with a Pro?

yeah i have been testing cutting through a lot of .5" materials.
.5" acrylic was definitely the easiest.
.5" walnut was one of the hardest ones i have tried but with multiple passes, and LOT of trial and error, i got a pretty good cut. The .5" common board is the easiest .5" wood i have cut and only took 3 passes and no scorching.

3 Likes

I have fond memories of picking locks like that, and bike locks and interior door locks, as a kid and that was with no internet, just trial and error and some initial tips from older kids. I shudder to think of all the trouble I would have gotten into with the Internet. :scream:

1 Like

I really like this design but started to think how to try and baffle the kids even more. What if you made it like a trick box?

Does this make sense? the L shaped piece would pivot on the corner post to open a 0.5 slot fromthe edge to the coin slot. the magnet(s) would keep it from opening without some force.

4 Likes

So I do like this idea… but definitely not for my kids. These lockable piggy banks are to solve the problem from their last banks, which were custom puzzle boxes. They each had a custom puzzle box to put their money in, but the youngest simply told the other siblings how to open his because he was so proud of it, and the other ones snuck the other kids puzzle boxes while they were not around and figured out how to open them… and these were not super easy boxes to open, they each required about 4 steps each. Also if my kids can get the money out on their own, they like to keep taking it out to count it, and then they leave it somewhere and it gets lost… these have been a big success thus far :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just finished the last of the money banks for my kids. this is probably my final design iteration for these banks at least. laser cutting the dowels was a big help on this one and made the ends of the dowels very uniform. I no longer needed to cut them down and sand them after they were glued in.

3 Likes