Kinda stupid question (new owner)

I think I’ve figured what my problem is. The gf keeps going offline. I know it’s because I’m connecting in my shed. On my computer I always have connectivity issues perhaps because it’s a metal building. The network shows top connectivity but it is always intermittent. I wonder will a WiFi extender help this?

4 Likes

Welcome to the group! :smile:

A Wifi extender can help in some circumstances and it sounds like your setup might be a good candidate.

Most of the time, connectivity issues are resolved by just restarting all of the devices…

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, Glowforge usually recommends trying these things, which includes your range extender idea, so that was right on target:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
  • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge
  1. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

We just put in an extender for the signal in the kitchen and it’s worked fine. The only other thing is that your Wi-Fi network needs to be at 2.4 GHz. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thank you.

Good luck! :slightly_smiling_face:

Just a note on the extender - you don’t want to put the extender at the end of the signal path, in other words, in the metal storage shed by the Glowforge. The only thing it will do there is pick up a weak signal and you’ll be no better off. Find somewhere that gives the extender adequate signal, and the Glowforge adequate signal from the extender.

5 Likes

Thanks for the help, @jules, that’s right. Regarding the range extender, @jbmanning5 gave some helpful guidance as well. The extender may not address the signal interference issues presented by operating the Glowforge in a metal building, but improving the signal path between your Glowforge and your router should help. I’m going to close this thread - if you’re still running into trouble please start a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com. Thanks for letting us know about this!